Friday, 15 April 2011

I failed miserably

Today I had my first oral presentation in French. I honestly thought that I had made some progress and wasn't such a failure at it as I used to be. Turns out I was wrong. I stuttered. I trembled. I couldn't think clear and I knew that I was pathetic. Being the last one out I ended that class in a miserable way. It wouldn't have been so bad, I would've been able to just shake it off and move on with my life if it wasn't for that little detail that caught my eye. A girl, whom I already disliked, sitting opposite me leaned back on her chair and immediately after I finished speaking she asked the guy next to her if he had understood what I had talked about. That careless way and those words... It pierced my heart. The girl sitting next to me asked me a conversational question about one thing as if it had been anyone else doing that oral presentation. It made me feel better. To me it meant that I hadn't been that horrible but that she was stupid, immature, careless and a stuck-up know-it-all. I admit that her pronounciation is one of the better in the class and that she seems more confident with her French than a lot of us - but that's no reason for being stuck-up like you're better than everyone else. If you know more, then help others who don't. Don't just go around bragging about how much you know the "in your face"-way.

In the beginning of this semester I was divided into a grammatical exercises group with the girl I now hate and another girl. After missing a text from her about a meeting they both stopped calling on me. One missed text. They also stopped talking to me when we all showed up at class. So the first girl that I now hate is a stuck-up know-it-all that hurt my feelings. The other one thinks she's a know-it-all because she's been in France so so so many times, but actually my French is better than hers. So I know that I'm a know-it-all too, but I try to be nice about it usually. I help people. There's a reason why my classmates in Japanese class called me Jisho-chan (Little Dictionary).

I thought I had matured and grown since high school and stopped hating on people, but I guess not. I guess I just haven't had any reason to hate on anyone until now. I hope none of them are going to continue onto next semester. It would be interesting if they did, but I don't want them there. If I could have punched her and yelled at her today without getting in trouble, I would have.

I thought about the stage fright during my walk home and I think it has something to do with the language as well. It's less painful in Swedish and English and even Japanese. But I'm not comfortable with French yet. I think that's the biggest issue, when I prepare myself better and become more comfortable and certain I think it will be better. I hope next time (in two weeks!) will be better.

On the positive side today was a wake up call. I'm gonna study hard and ace my exams. It will show both me and her that I actually know something AND it will make me the know-it-all I usually am ;P

1 comment:

  1. Failed?

    How can you say that you failed when you learned so much from the experience? That's not failing, that's progress!

    ReplyDelete

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!