Tuesday, 7 June 2011

National pride

Yesterday was the National Day of Sweden. That is the only day I let myself feel proud of my counrty, otherwise I think it's ridiculous. Why feel proud of a country you only happened to be part of? You could as well have been born anywhere else in the world. It's not an achievement of yours to be born in your country, so why be proud of it?

Don't say it's because your country is your home. Nationality has nothing to do with home. Home is an abstract thing and has to do with where you feel at ease, comfortable and where you recognise your surroundings.

Only on June 6th I consider myself a Swedish citizen. Today and all the other days of the year I'm a citizen of the world. My looks tell you that I originate from a certain area of the world, but no more. I'm more proud to be Scandinavian than to be Swedish. I'm more proud to be European than Swedish.

On a different note, we suck at celebrating our National Day. But what do we have to celebrate? We don't celebrate our independence cause we are one of the few countries in the world that have always been independent. June 6th is however considered the day when the first step towards modern Sweden was taken. It all comes down to the rebellion of Gustav Vasa in the 16th century.

Only the two first verses are usually sung. 
The third and fourth are considered too controversial nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!