Sunday, 11 September 2011

9/11

I've been pondering this subject the entire week, thinking of whether I actually should go ahead and blog something about this or not. In the end I decided that I'd do a small post about it, simply because today I relived 9/11 through the eyes of an adult.

I was 10 years old on September 11, 2001. I remember coming home from school around 3.10pm (GMT+1), right around the time when the second plane flew into the other tower. I remember my mother telling me to come into the living room and watch the news with her. I understood that something big had happened. Something serious. I was struck by the horridness of the deed, but I didn't understand much. I didn't understand what consequences would come from this, I didn't care that the stock market fell rapidly. I understood that it was bad what had happened, but I didn't care much since I knew the US was far away and thought it wouldn't affect me here in Sweden. In the end I actually got kind of annoyed by the same footage being showed over and over on the TV, I got sick of seeing all those horrible pictures.

Today when I got up to read my news feed during breakfast as is the norm for me, I saw that the news paper (Svenska Dagbladet) had uploaded the first news program on TV after the attacks of WTC and Pentagon. I watched it ofc and it was a completely different feeling seeing and hearing all that now, and understanding it, understanding everything and all the effects from it. In hindsight now I know what has come of those attacks.


In it they talk to different people in high places, including the Swedish Prime Minister at the time and different experts on terrorism. We also get to see snippets from the speaches given by George W Bush, Tony Blair, Jacques Chirac, the Palestinian leader (I tend to forget his name) and even some words by Usama bin Ladin himself. We can see now that they got it right, that the attacks led to increased suspiscions and control, but it also led to the world's democracies fighting against terrorism as one as said by Putin. Not only did these attacks make us suspiscious of one another, but it also erased the borders and made us fight this new evil together. It gives me hope that the world isn't all that bad.

On a sidenote I feel like I also have to devote some thoughts to Anna Lind. A very popular and well-liked Swedish politician and the Minister for Foreign Affairs at the time. On September 11th, 2003 she was murdered. This however, I remember more clearly than 9/11 and this I do not need to relive. Still I felt that she shouldn't be completely overshadowed by 9/11 and also given some space. If she'd lived Sweden would probably have stayed Social Democratic for an even longer period of time. Almost everyone I know, left or right, agrees to this. Everyone liked her. And Sweden misses her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!