Thursday, 10 November 2011

Adulthood

"We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop?"
- Grey's Anatomy

I think I have to agree. As a child all you want is to grow up, then the older you get the more you wish it'd stop. Life would be so much easier if one could do anything and not have to plan out what one's going to do with one's life or if one could completely ignore the demands put on you by society as soon as you pass that line. 

I'm part of an age group that never had enough room, okay? My parents had to put me in a daycare that wasn't of their choice cause there wasn't room for me on the one they'd want. Choosing schools there were never enough places for all of us. Now we're off to employment, how do you figure that's gonna work out when it comes as a surprise to the society how big my age group is everytime we change level? 

But it's not as much that as it is for all the demands. When you're 18 you're an adult. That's when you're supposed to know what you want to do with your life. You're supposed to continue to study to get a higher education, get a fancy job somewhere, have a career, get married and make some babies. Usually in that order. For that to work out (especially for the women) we have to finish our education before we're 25, hopefully manage a quite well-rounded career before 30 so that we have time on our biological clock to do all that baby-making that's required of us from the society. What? So there's not enough of humans on this planet already? It's a well thought-out plan, but the strictness of it makes it almost impossible to stray from it even for a moment. Despite the industralised countries' boasting of how free their people are and how much freedom we have, we have surprisingly little to say about how we want to live our lives. There's so much required of us in so little time that it doesn't even come as a surprise to me when I read in the paper that school children are becoming stressed out, burnt out; collapsing from the stress. It's ridiculous! A teenager should not have anxiety problems! It doesn't come as a surprise to me to find out that the prescriptions of anti-anxiety medicins are continuously increasing and that the average age for whom uses them is steadily getting lower and lower. Come on, people! There's a reason why every other child is depressed nowadays!

I'm becoming stressed out just writing about this...

Maybe I can count myself lucky in that sense. When I was 18 I didn't have a plan. I knew I wanted to do something that had to do with languages. Other than that I was a complete blank taking my first step into adulthood. I wanted to do what I wanted to because I wanted it. But there seems to be some kind of magical barrier at 20. You're no longer a teenager. Now it's suddenly inappropriate for you to just go with the flow and see where life leads you. Now you need to be an adult. Shape up! Get a job! Get that degree! Move out! Get married! Have those children! 

Well, what if I don't want to?

I don't care if a have an awesome career as long as I have enough money to live on. I don't need to get married. I don't want to have children (ask the same question in 10 years, I might answer differently then). I want to see the world. I want to break free. I want to go where the wind blows and just follow where life leads me. Is that too much to ask?

And now what? When I'm turning 21 next week and steadily take another step into adulthood, is my biggest goal to get a degree? No, my biggest goal is for me to be able to return to Tokyo. Second biggest goal is to go to Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando, FL. I will probably do everything in due time, but I have been cured. I no longer see any rush in finishing off my life before 30. You have time. Just relax and go where the wind blows. You need to be sure of yourself, cause as long as you can't nudge yourself off your crooked path, then no one else can. It doesn't have to be a straight line, you know. There's no wolf threatening to eat you if you stray off that straight line for a while. Don't worry, the straight line will always be there for you to come back to. If you want to.

Related posts:
Hey, what're you doing with your life? Why don't you settle down and find yourself a wife? Don't you know you can't run away from here? When will you act your age? Why don't you listen, dear? I say: I'll never grow up. I'll never grow. I'll never grow up now. They say: you better stop dreaming. You're going nowhere fast. What if we throw you out? How long do you think you'd last? When will you go to school? Why don't you get a job? Hey, girl you better shape up. You're looking like a slob. Well, I say: I'll never grow up. I'll never grow up. I'll never grow up now. And I say it again: I'll never grow up. I'll never grow up. I'll never grow up now. I can't believe you can't hear what you're saying. Take a good look at yourself. Why don't you listen to the music we're playing? Go pick on somebody else. They say: You think life's a free ride. Well, take a tip from me. We're gonna end your party with some responsibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!