Sunday, 30 June 2013

That's June gone

Can't believe June's already gone, and July is gonna be such a busy month. Most of June I spent at Toni's playing Skyrim (post coming), Scribblenauts, Heroes of Might and Magic V, and Ys Origin. I'm almost done with Scribblenauts and I'm working on the second campaign of Heroes, which has proven more difficult than the first campaign (but it could just be cause I'm not used to playing neither demons nor elves). I've also been reading a lot. Toni finished a book called Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children, and he thought it was great. Since I had bought it some time ago but hadn't read it yet, I decided to read it immediately. And it was good. I didn't think it was brilliant, but I definately enjoyed it. Although I figured out a lot of things faster than the main character did, which spoiled the surprises of the book a bit. After I finished that book I got started on Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, which was bloody brilliant. The end was beautifully connected to the beginning and everything that happened throughout the book bore importance for the end. Right now I'm halfway through a short story compilation compiled by Neil Gaiman, but containing short stories by different writers. It's called Unnatural Creatures, and the short stories are almost always about some kind of strange creature. This far my favourites have been the ones by Gahan Wilson (kind of psychological horror-ish, which pleased me), Nnedi Okorafor (so refreshing with a short story taking place in Africa with African customs at the centre), Diana Wynne Jones (can't think of any reason why I didn't like her when I was younger), E. Nesbit (loved her stories as a kid and now I've rediscovered them), and Larry Niven (sci-fi/fantasy mash-up which I totally enjoyed although sceptical in the beginning). There was also a really old short story by Saki (must be since the writer was killed during WWI), which I enjoyed mostly because it was so old and must have been one of the earliest werewolf stories. Nesbit's story, of course, was also old since she wrote it more than 100 years ago. I like a bit of old stories sometimes - feels like timetraveling. Gaiman's own short story, Sunbird, was fun to read although I had already read it before so it wasn't as revolutionary to me as the others. Right now I'm working on the short story by Samuel R. Delany, which has me intrigued. Let's just say that Gaiman has a great taste in writers.
I found myself in Wonderland. Get back on my feet again. Is this real? Is this pretend? I'll take a stand until the end. 
Last weekend was Midsummer. And if you've read my blog before you know that my Midsummers usually look like this. But this year I decided to stay with Toni for Midsummer and skip traditions altogether. At first we had planned to do BBQ. The weather was great until about 4.30pm when it suddenly became cloudy and very ominous of rain. So we decided to go for pizza instead. Of course it became all sunny again after we had finished the pizza -.- The rest of the evening we spent playing Smallworld (I won), hanging on Youtube and eating strawberries with ice cream :)

Technically the next day was also Midsummer. We had a bit more people over that day and after pizza (again! xD) we started playing Mansions of Madness (Toni won = bad ending), which we finished a little past midnight. After hanging around a while and just talking, we finally got around to playing Gloom (I won). It's a card game with the goal to kill off your own family first as gruesomely as possible. It's a lot of fun! :D Around 4.30am we split up and around 5am we finally went to sleep. 

The next day we made a car trip to Max for lunch with the car's speakers on really loud playing the most random songs and nostalgic children's show intros xD It was a lot of fun. 

In July I have two festivals and one trip to London planned, but I'll try to update a bit more frequently in July. Especially while in London. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!