Thursday, 12 June 2014

Summer, go away. Sun, you too.

So I guess it's time for my mandatory "I hate summer" post.

Well, it basically comes down to the fact that I'm sensitive to heat and pretty much allergic to the sun. And what is summer? Heat and sun. Lovely combination, don't you think? Yes, I'm sure you do.

I'm sensitive to heat. I can't empty a sauce pan of water without oven mittens, I can't hold a pizza slice that comes directly from the oven, and my biggest pet peeve is when I'm served a latte in a drinking glass at cafés. I have to get about 5 paper napkins to be able to hold the glass and drink from it and I can still feel the heat through the napkins. And I have to let the tea cool for about 10-15 minutes before I can drink it without burning my lips and tongue off. And by then my tea drinking buddy has probably finished his/her tea. Summer heat makes my head go woozy, the sun's so sharp that on top of my woozy head I almost always get a headache when I go outside (even with sunglasses). I can't be in saunas cause it feels like I can't breathe in there and in summer time the whole world turns into a sauna = constant shortness of breath.

I hate to be sweaty. I love to just lie around in bed for about 30-60 minutes after I've woken up. It's hard to do that in summer time cause I always wake up from being too hot and too sweaty and I hate it so I can't just lie around. I have to get out of there. I also like sleeping. Sleeping is difficult when it gets too hot in the room even with the window open and no cover. I hate to be sweaty and going outside in summer time and moving around a bit, like say, going to the shop and getting some groceries, will mean that I'll come back home feeling like I'm melting cause it's so hot.

The sun hates me. For three years I was happy with my sunscreen for sensitive skin and with SPF 50. This year it stopped working. I got sunrash all over my forhead even with it on. Little bumps all over my forhead, is really sexy -.-' I burned my shoulders into a two-day pain even with it on. I'm white. Like really, really white. Other white people usually have like a pink tinge. I'm totally white. And I can't change it. The sun burns painfully and gives me a rash. Two days later it's like nothing happened. I get no colour from it. The red doesn't turn brown, it turns white again. I always burn my scalp in the parting of the hair and then it itches for days.

There are three things I like about summer.

Number 1 is the evenings. Summer evenings are cooler and I can finally breathe and the sun doesn't go down until 11pm, but after 6pm it doesn't burn as much so I don't have to worry about going outside. If I could I would sleep all through the day and then wake up around 4-5pm and live during the part of the day that's actually liveable. But I can't sleep all day cause it gets too friggin hot in the room.

Number 2 is the ocean. I can finally go for a swim in the ocean, and in lakes, and outdoor swimming pools. The only place I don't feel like I'm melting is when I'm soaked in water. I love the world beneath the surface. My favourite place in summer is in the water.

Number 3 is the food. BBQ is heavenly. Ice cream every day is amazing. Shrimp and crawfish make for awesome meals. And the little tiny potatoes.

So if I don't go outside much during summer it's because it's hard and mostly painful. Don't complain that I spend all my summer days by the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!