Tuesday, 18 November 2014

I'm an adult now... well, sort of.

And there was my 24th birthday. I'm 24 years old now and I feel like I'm supposed to be an adult now, but I still feel as in-between as I did 10 years ago. At 14 I felt in-between a child and an adult, and as a teenager that's what I was. At 24 I feel in-between a teenager and an adult. But that's the problem; I'm not a teenager and I feel very grown up when I'm around them, but I also feel very young and inexperienced when I'm around older adults. I also feel as if that's what they think about me. Older adults don't think of me as an equal - as someone just as grown up as they are, they still see me as young, almost a child. I don't belong with the adults, not really. But I neither belong with the teenagers.

I've heard of a rift before. That my generation is taking longer to "grow up" than earlier generations. That my generation considers themselves grown-up around 30-35, while earlier generations considered themselves grown-up around 20-25. I don't know if it's true, but I certainly feel that way. It's sort of conflicting. I'm supposed to be an adult now, but I don't feel it.


1 comment:

  1. Haha jag känner precis likadant men jag antar att det inte är något som säger att det inte kan finnas ett till stadie där emellan?
    Hur som helst, samhället och alla i det måste ändå acceptera att det går runt massa personer i "mellantinget" med samma rättigheter men med "barnsligare" mentaliteter. Eller nåt... idk XD Kanske att det är något bra.

    ReplyDelete

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!