Sunday, 8 March 2015

International Women's Day

So today is International Women's Day. I usually don't acknowledge this day because I'm not defined by my gender. I identify as female, but seriously I'm so much more than that. But I chose to do this post today because I feel there are some things I want to get off my chest. I've read some things lately about how far away we are from equality and how sexist and bigoted the world is. And sure, you can see it that way if you want. You can look at the glass and see it half empty if you want to. I, on the other hand, look at the glass and see it half full.

We have thousands of years of inequality to work through, but look how far we've gotten in the last 100 years! How big is the difference between 1915 and 2015? It's huge! 100 years is not a long time. I've met people born before 1920. I find it amazing how much shit we've changed in these 100 years.

100 years ago an unmarried woman became of age at 21. A married woman was not independent. How outlandish does that sound today? 100 years ago women couldn't vote. 100 years ago married women didn't work. 100 years ago women did not wear pants.

I know we're not 100% equal yet. But I remain positive and I remain amazed at what we have accomplished.

So what did I do today? I was at work. Which is a celebration in and of itself. I'm a woman and I work. I'm in my mid-twenties and I'm not married off to some dude because I'm supposed to, which I'm not in this day and age. I'm in my mid-twenties and I'm not a mother because I have the right and the privilege to choose when I want to be one. I'm a woman and I'm not confined to the home. The fact that I can do any of those things is a sign of progress of equality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!