Sunday, 3 January 2016

Evening Star, week 5

Yes, that's correct. Week 5. And it's been a busy week.

On Monday I was weirdly energetic when I woke up. I felt rested although I had only gotten about 5 hours of sleep as is my norm on Mondays. Got to work and it was a quick day. After work I got on the train to Stockholm instead of back home. Although, it was a quick visit I got to meet Kajsa before she got on her train back up north. Also got to meet her mother for the first time in what I think was 2 years! And it's always a lot of fun. Kajsa and her family have been my second family since I was 11 :) When I got home I made dinner and watched the Christmas specials of Call the Midwife and Historieätarna, as well as 2015's last two episodes of Once Upon a Time.

On Tuesday I got woken up by my boss calling at 9am wondering where I was. Damn it! The schedule changes every month and sometimes every week and I was so certain I had no more hours in 2015. But I did. It was the first time I had messed up like that so she said it was ok, though :) I spent the day reorganizing my book shelf (long overdue), doing the laundry, and watching 2015's last episodes of The Vampire Diaries and The Originals as well as playing some Skyrim.

On Wednesday I went to work and when I got back home I was so tired that I actually went for a nap. Big mistake. Always is. I'm always more tired after a nap than before the nap. After I woke up we cleaned the flat and then I played some Skyrim for the rest of the day :)

Thursday was a big day. New Years! We got out of bed together, but I was done getting ready long before Toni (as usual) and played Skyrim for a few hours, before we went out to have dinner with a friend downtown. After dinner, we all went back to our place and waited for the party to start. The party was a success! Last year we had been about 14-15 people and it got really crowded in our flat. This year we were about 8 people - a lot more manageable. Lots of music, drinks and laughter and when the time was 11.45pm we all went outdoors for fireworks, champagne, and new years kisses & hugs. While we were firing off our fireworks one of our neighbours came out, seemingly on something. He was so happy - laughing, dancing, yelling - that all of us were pulled along with him. It's one of the most memorable moments of the day. Then we went back indoors for more music, drinks and laughter before the party broke up at around 2-2.30am.

I woke up at 11am on Friday unable to sleep any more. Instead I grabbed a new book (Let the Right One In, by John Ajvide Lindqvist in its original Swedish) and sat down to read in the living room, letting Toni sleep some more. After he woke up I went to start up my computer and play some games. I had decided to shelf Skyrim after New Years, and now it was time for my new project - Fallout. I had previously installed Fallout 3 so I fixed my resolution and things in Options, made sure all the DLCs were in the load order and then pressed play. Nothing happened. Frozen black screen. I went through multiple guides, spending more than an hour (maybe two) trying to actually get to the main menu and get the game started at all. I managed for a short while, but then the game started freezing again. This time in-game. I decided to download the Unofficial Fallout Patch from Nexus and get everything working with their mod manager, and for the rest of the evening everything worked perfectly. Yes! (All of this because Fallout 3 isn't optimized for Windows 7...)

Yesterday, Saturday, I went to work again. When I got home I started up Fallout 3, expecting it to work after the Patch, buuuuuuuuuut I was back to frozen black screen not even getting to the main menu. I was ready to give up. I installed Fallout: New Vegas instead and started it up. Then Toni came up with something that he had done on his computer to get Fallout 3 to work and got me to try it. That thing did the trick. Got the game working like a charm. In the evening we went to Toni's parents' place to have dinner with them, his two sisters, and the older sister's family. The eldest daughter had asked me to bring my first two Harry Potter books in Swedish as she wanted to start reading the series. I was happy to. Spreading the Potterverse to the next generation. #PotterItForward Made me really happy that she wanted to read the books tbh. Books have always been a big part of my life, abscence of book shelves in any home is as weird as the absence of a TV screen imho. After we got home I started up Fallout 3 again and it still worked flawlessly :D

Today I got up early for work and when I got home I played some more Fallout 3. I still expect the frozen black screen every time I start it, but as long as the game keeps proving me wrong I'm good. I'm still waiting for a "Wow!" moment in the game, though... Now I'm gonna read for 30min-1 hour and then it's sleepy time. Monday starts at 2am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!