Wednesday, 9 November 2016

American election 2016

I can't really form any coherent thoughts of the American electoral results. I stayed up until 4 am watching the election. It was 4 am here, but about 10pm in D.C. when I gave up. At that time they hadn't even completed the counting in Florida and all I knew was that it was crazy even in most states. But for the most part it seemed that Trump had a slight lead everywhere. I went to bed suspecting Trump would win, but hoping against hope that he wouldn't. Woke up to what I suspected. Trump had won.

Fun thing is that I suspected this way before. Years before. Not that it would be Trump specifically, but that it would be a Republican in the White House next. Because for as long as I've been alive that's basically been the case: Republican - Democrat - Republican - Democrat - Republican. Bush - Clinton - Bush - Obama - Trump. That's the entire presidency of my life so far.

But despite knowing on some level that Trump would win, my feelings about it are all over the place. I'm not American, I've never even been there, so I'm watching it unfold from afar and a part of me is feeling grateful and lucky that I'm not American and won't have to deal with the fallout of this election as directly. Another part of me is terrified because the thins the President does have repercussions in the whole world.

One of my acquaintances on Facebook said today that "No matter what people say Democracy won tonight". My spontaneous immediate thought was: "Well, both Caesar and Hitler were also democratically elected." It's always been the biggest fault of democracy - that it can unknowingly make way for dictatorship. But it's a risk we have to take, because it's the best system we've got.

If we're lucky maybe Trump won't prove so bad. If we're lucky.
What the hell's going on? Have you gone undercover? You were here, now you're not. Been replaced by another. Cause it's still your face, but there's something strange. Not the one I remember. Can you please explain. Did they wipe your brain? Is this gonna be forever? Cause everything you say, everything you do is freaking me out, freaking me out. You know we used to be the same. Who the hell are you? Freaking me out, freaking me out. And I swear I thought I knew you, but all that was yesterday. And now you turn it around, what's that about? Cause you're freaking me out, freaking me out. Think you're real, but you're fake. Think you're deep, but you're shallow. You've become what you hate. Now you're lost. Just a shadow. So we pull your strings cause it makes no sense that you act like you're better. You can say these things to your so-called friends and they might just think you're clever. But everything you say, everything you do is freaking me out, freaking me out. You know we used to be the same. Who the hell are you? Freaking me out, freaking me out. And I swear I thought I knew you, but all that was yesterday. And now you turn it around, what's that about? Cause you're freaking me out, freaking me out. Wake up, wake up, wake up. Snap out of it. Wake up, wake up, wake up. Snap out of it. Wake up, wake up, wake up. Everything you say, everything you do is freaking me out, freaking me out. You know we used to be the same. Who the hell are you? Freaking me out, freaking me out. And I swear I thought I knew you, but all that was yesterday. And now everything you say, everything you do is freaking me out, freaking me out. Why d'you play your games? Who are you trying to fool? Freaking me out, freaking me out. And I swear I thought I knew you, but all that was yesterday. And now you turn it around, what's that about? Cause you're freaking me out, freaking me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!