Tuesday, 29 November 2016

Birthday time!

Birthday has come and gone along with all the split celebrations (because living 300 miles from your family tends to split things up a bit). So let's see...

A few days before my birthday I recieved my first gift. It was from Toni and it was Dishonored 2. I was cautiously optimistic. I wanted this game. I had really been looking forward to this game, but canyourunit.com insisted that my video card wasn't good enough to run it. But I tried and it worked. Admittedly, the game automatically set my video settings to low, but so did Skyrim SE and that still worked without hiccups after I raised it to high. I haven't experimented with that yet on Dishonored since I wanted to try it out first. I'm hilariously bad at stealth in most games though. I'm the player that always tries for stealth but ends up with chaos. This far I like it. I've been putting off playing more, though. Partly because I want to complete Skyrim SE, and partly because I don't want it to be finished.

On my birthday I was away all day. First I had a job interview in Stockholm (which went surprisingly bad) and then work, so I wasn't home until 10.30pm. When I got home Toni had prepared cake, flowers, and chocolate, and also scrubbed the whole place from top to bottom :D I had asked for the cake so I was expecting that. Everything else was a surprise and I really liked it. Although I was extremely tired after my long day so my reaction wasn't as energetically happy as Toni expected. I was very happy with it, though!

On the 18th, two days after my birthday, we went to see Fantastic Beasts. Toni met me at work where I finished at 5pm and then we went for dinner at an Asian buffet restaurant. Afterwards we bought lots of sweets and then went to the cinema. I was very excited to see the movie and I was also really happy to point out all the House scarves and wands among the people there. Did get a few funny looks, though. Don't know why. Showing off my House, my wand and my Deathly Hallows tattoo maybe was a bit much for some people. The movie was amazing, though, and I really want to see it again!

On the weekend we had hoped for a birthday party with friends, but turned out we had bad timing. Despite the fact that we had prepared people two weeks in advance for this, they still had other plans or no money. Toni was probably more upset about it than me. I'm used to it. Mostly because the second half of November is a notoriously bad time for birthday parties because everyone is wrapped up in work, or buying Christmas presents, or having no money left because it's the last money from the previous salary. We had a little movie night on our own instead watching the Lego Batman movie from 2013.

This past weekend I went home to my parents to celebrate my birthday with my family. They always ask me to give them lists so they know what to get me. But, apparantly, I was very difficult this year. I know that the things I wanted were all available online, but my entire family (except for my 70+ y/o grandparents) have some kind of aversion to shopping online. They couldn't find a lot of the things in shops and so I had to do without. That's ok. Coming up with things is always hard, but they keep asking me for lists ;P Another funny thing is that I usually ask for books in English if that's their original language. I want to read the book in the tone set by the author and it very rarely translates well. But I got the books in Swedish instead, because they are more readily available in shops. It sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm not. I appreciate what they got me. So here we go:
Maze Runner books 2 and 3 in Swedish. I read the first one in Swedish so might as well continue.
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. I've seen this in English every single day for months in Pocket Shop, yet got it in Swedish, because they couldn't find it in English. I've wanted to read it for a while now, so I hope the translation is good!
A Thousand Miles to Freedom, by Eunsun Kim. Autobiography of a North Korean girl and her flight from there. Got it in Swedish, but I also asked for it in Swedish.
The Ice Twins, by SK Tremayne. A thriller that probably was one of the easier things to find. It's more in line with what most people read. I thought it sounded interesting so I wanted it :P Asked for it in Swedish.
Kallocain, by Karin Boye. A Swedish classic. I tried to read it once when I was about 14, but didn't manage. I'm still interested in the general plot of the book and I hope I'm better equipped to read it now at 26 :)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: Original Screenplay, by JK Rowling. Saw the movie. Got the script. This is the one gift I was the most excited about getting, and also the one I was the least sure about getting since it was released only a week ago.
The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt. In Swedish. A blogger I follow has been completely obsessed with this book for a large portion of this year and so I became curious about it.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by JK Rowling and Jim Kay. The illustrated version. In Swedish. This is probably the book I mind the least about getting in Swedish. After all, I read the books in Swedish growing up so that translation is very dear to me, although I do think the original language is better.
Odinsbarn, by Siri Pettersen. In Swedish, but that's what I asked for. Been curious about this series for about a year now, so now I'm excited to find out how it is!
Sid Meier's Civilization VI for PC. I liked Civ V, so now I'm gonna play Civ VI :)
Crimson Peak on Blu-Ray. Saw it at the cinema last year. Loved it :)

And that's all my birthday stuff for this year :) It's been a good year, all in all ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!