Sunday 5 April 2020

The Haunting of Hill House

I still haven't read the novel. I should fix that. Soon.

I've been excited for this show since it was announced. Mainly because I love the 1999 movie, but also because I've seen the 1963 original movie. But I haven't gotten around to watching it until just now.

This show is slow at times but excellent at building suspense and the ghosts were genuinely creepy. Especially the tall man with the hat and cane. He has visited my dreams a few times since I first saw him on the show.

I really loved how the first six episodes only provided clues and pieces to the story and then the last four episodes were all about watching the pieces come together and seeing the puzzle solved. And omg I loved to see the puzzle solved. Such a great feeling of contentment.

I instantly liked Theo. Steve was the one I wanted to like but he made it so very, very hard. Shirley kept pushing me away no matter how much I tried to like her. Both Nell and Luke made me sad for different reasons.

This is a very sad show. But you can also turn it into a game of "Spot the Ghost" as there are almost always ghosts lurking in the background.

Seems like Netflix is turning this show into some sort of American Horror Story thing, as there'll be a second season but with another house and new characters.

Absolutely worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!