Tuesday 20 December 2022

I replayed Dragon Age Origins

I haven't played this game since 2016 or so, but a few weeks ago I suddenly got a craving for Dragon Age. Put it off for a while, but eventually caved and installed it.

I decided to not go for anything special and just do my canon experience. Got all the companions to max friendship, romanced Alistair, made my Warden his queen and had neither of them die to the archdemon. 

Chose mages over templars in the Circle. Chose elves over werewolves in the forest. Chose Harrowmont over Bhelen in Orzammar. 

The part with Hespith and the Broodmother in the Deep Roads still creeps me out. And I hate the Fade. 

After the main game I turned to the small DLCs. Leliana's song is still the most meh DLC ever. I didn't need to play out her story when she's already told it me once. The Darkspawn Chronicles are pretty fun though. Disturbingly fun. The battle for Denerim but from the darkspawns' perspective and if HoF didn't exist and it was just Alistair and co. 

Golems of Amgarrak DLC remains my most disliked venture in Dragon Age because O-M-G I HATE GOLEMS. Especially inside that teeny tiny room where they've shoved four steel golems and three stone golems and all of them hurl rocks at the team so all the team has time to do basically is ragdoll away until they die. GAAAAAH! So many reloaded saves. It was like managing a goddamn chess board to get every character in a position where they wouldn't get ragdolled about too much so they could do some damage and still I had to use an absurd amount of health poultices and injury kits. Just lucky that the golem I picked up had learned how to revive, but that also meant keeping that golem alive and that was almost impossible... The fight against the Harvester in the end of the DLC was easy in comparison to getting ragdolled around by seven golems. 

Witch Hunt DLC was extremely interesting though. I honestly don't think I've replayed DAO since I played DAI... But there are so many references to the rest of the series. In the Circle two mages are discussing the refugee situation in Kirkwall, which directly references the start of DA2. Morrigan is on the hunt for an Eluvian which correlates with DA2 and Trespasser. And she speaks of a change happening to the Veil and within the Fade which hints towards both DAI and potentially Dreadwolf. Finn is amazing and I want more of him.

Awakening was equally interesting. While Anders is generally a lot more fun and easy-going in Awakening than he is in DA2 there is one occasion where he speaks about "Mages almost needing permission to live" which really sounds like Anders from DA2 and it's one of the sentiments that ignite the whole thing in Kirkwall which spirals into the events of DAI. In the Blackmarsh region of Awakening there are Veil Tears and Fade Rifts/Portals all over the place and that's just a direct reference to DAI imo. In Awakening the Architect says he was born the way he is, but we can probably make a qualified guess and assume he's an original like Corypheus, but just like Corypheus didn't at the start the Architect doesn't remember. There is an end screen after Awakening which says that the Warden disappears, which hints towards their travels as told by DAI. 


I love Awakening. My only gripe is that it should've been longer. I don't feel like I have enough time to really make Vigil's Keep my own or show the people of Amaranthine that I can rule them well before it's time for the final showdown and everything just ends. There isn't even any time to get the companions to max friendship T_T I need Awakening to be longer.

The most interesting thing about replaying now so long after I've played the other games is to see the incredible amount of foreshadowing in the first game. There's so much. So much that I had either forgotten or had gone completely over my head back when I played this game religiously. 

Every companion in one sentence each:
Shale is best girl. Sten is adorable in all his grumpyness. Alistair is best boi. Wynne is hilarious. Zevran is amazing. Morrigan's pain runs deep and I love her. Ohgren is too annoying and too good at destroying anything good he has going for him. I don't care much for Leliana and she exists like an afterthought. Ariane is badass. Finn is my spirit animal. Anders is best friend material. I wish Nathaniel was romanceable. Sigrun is very cute. Velanna is a hardass. Justice is like the grandpa figure who holds your hand with all his wisdom, but is still childish in his wonder of exploring a new world. I wish Mhairi had survived. I like Sketch. Tug and Silas are forgettable. Jerrik and Brogan are also forgettable. 

I was going to only replay DAO, but I accidentally DA2 as well =D

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!