Sunday 19 August 2018

Dealing with backlog: Cognition - An Erica Reed Thriller

It's been over a month since I finished this game. July was a crazy mess and my work life completely took over my hobby life, and the first week of August wasn't much better. But now things have started to calm down, so here's a post for a game I played a month ago.

Cognition is a point and click detective game in a comic book style. The premise is basically Criminal Minds meets Medium. The story is complicated and through all the twists and turns I didn't figure out who the killer was until the last episode. (Before the actual reveal but it still took me a while).

Erica Reed is a young FBI agent with supernatural cognitive abilities. The first episode brings you immediately into action as she tries to save her brother from the grasp of the Cain Killer. Without spoiling how that goes, the game then fastforwards three years. The investigation into the Cain Killer is closed because nothing has been heard from him for three years. Erica isn't happy with it but still does her job and goes out on a newly assigned case. While this case at first seems to send her in a new direction it soon becomes obvious that it all comes back to the Cain Killer.

This game was hard to get into as it offered no tutorial at all. I didn't even realise that I had an inventory until I looked at a guide to show me how to do things. The game started off exciting and continued to be so but also getting progressively more gory as the story went on. Towards the end the game gave me hope before tearing out my heart, stomping on it and crushing it to pieces.

I really enjoyed this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!