Saturday 5 September 2020

New World preview

I got excited about this game after the cinematic trailer that was so cool. This is a MMO developed by Amazon and it looked so promising. Then I saw an early gameplay trailer that looked dubious. Nevertheless I signed up for the beta and got nothing. Then I got an invite to the preview and resolved to play it as much as possible to get a feel for the game and find out whether it would be worth it or not.

To start with the character creation was ridiculous. You could basically choose between ten faces and then change between about the same amount of hairstyles and hair colours. No sliders or anything to make your character the way you like, which had the effect that every character looked the same.

The environments were amazingly beautiful. Everything looked stunning. I never got to take part in the spawning world events because they started at lvl 25 and I think I only got to lvl 21 before the preview ended. I once entered one of them like "oh what's this?" and was promptly two-shotted by the boss. So that was fun xD After that it became a matter of "nope, nope, nope, runnnning!" whenever one of them started to spawn in on a location I was at.

The combat took some getting used to. It was pretty hack n slash but without the combos. Iirc they wanted to make the combat seem like it was pretty authentic 17th/18th century which also meant no numbered abilities like there usually are in a MMO. By the time the preview ended I had it pretty figured out, but it didn't work very well if you had more than one enemy on you at once. There were a few swishing AoE attacks that could damage more than one enemy at a time, but the cooldown was too damn long.

All of the quests were go here, kill this many, loot this many, and return. Which is pretty common for MMOs and a lot of RPGs in general, but they're usually built on and buried in story/lore so that it doesn't feel like that's what you're doing. This game literally had every single objective be Go to this place. Kill this many. Loot this many of this item. Return. It got tired real fast and was very repetitive.

I put 12½ hours into the preview and even now I'm still not sure whether this is a game I'd like to buy. It looks beautiful and I could imagine playing it when I don't have anything better to do, but there are so many other things I could play that I find it hard to believe that I'd put much time into it the way it is now.

Some of the discussion in the main chat also said that the game was mostly geared towards PvP (which I'm not a fan of) and not so much PvE, which was pretty obvious. And they also discussed that a PvP build would literally put all the points into CON, because the bonuses from STR and DEX were too slim/minimal to have any effect on an opponent that had put all of their points into CON. Which means basically no room for experimenting. In general this game seems to have little room for individuality.

I'd like to give it another chance or two after they've had some time to improve upon the game and I'm happy to see they're pushing the release again because the way it is now, there's no way this game will be a hit. I hope that changes because the cinematic trailer still gives me all the right feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!