Sunday 15 November 2020

The Haunting of Bly Manor

After the absolute amazing thing that was the first season I was really looking forward to the second season. Or should I say second anthology? 

As soon as the first episode started with the nanny's interview with the uncle I thought it all seemed very familiar. And that feeling lingered until I got to the scene where the nanny asks to get out of the car to walk the last part up to the house and she meets Flora by the lake. That's when it clicked. The novel that this anthology is based on is also the base for one of the old-timey movies I've watched: The Innocents from 1961. With that out of the way I could sit back and enjoy what was to come.

Except this anthology proved thoroughly underwhelming. Hill House had creepier ghosts, creepier house, and was overall a lot creepier. Bly Manor had the creepy kids that soon stopped being creepy and ended up being repetitive. The ghosts weren't creepy, just sad, and the characters had pretty boring backstories.

I was pretty intrigued by the ghost that followed the nanny around to begin with, but then he just up and left when she asked him to? Hadn't she tried that before?!?!?

The conclusion of the series was pretty neat and clever and I enjoyed seeing all the pieces come together, but the road to get there was... tiresome. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!