Thursday 13 January 2022

Gotham

So after Fate I chose Gotham as our dinner show, and since it's five seasons long it has taken us a while. But it's been well worth it, damn this show was good. 

So we knew from beforehand that this show wasn't a Batman origin story, but rather a Jim Gordon origin story and the story of how Gotham came to be what it is when Batman is around. That being said, there was quite a lot of the Batman origin story in it too. 

And they've found such good actors for all the roles! Such amazingly good fits. Every time Penguin was on screen I was just inwardly squealing with how good he was. And did we ever really see an episode without me going "He's such a good Penguin!" at least once? Riddler was good too, and Joker (especially in the later seasons), and Alfred, and Zsasz. Bruce and Selina were really good fits too. Just generally a really good cast. Most of them should get asked to do any upcoming Batman movie. 

I grew up watching Batman: The Animated Series and so I always compare any Batman live action character to the animated ones. I can't help it. And that final iteration of Penguin, after the 10 year gap... I was just squeee. He's perfect. Absolutely perfect.

I had a lot of fun with this show and it managed to defy every expectation I had of it. I expected a kind of police procedural drama with a twist, but it's so much more and it's just perfect. Even with the slight changes to the lore to fit the time period and still make it Batman they've done everything respectfully. I could easily go through this entire series again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!