Saturday 1 January 2022

Movies I watched in 2021

This is aside from the horror movies we watched during the summer.

Death to 2020 (2020)
This movie pokes fun at the mess that was 2020. It was the first movie we watched in 2021 and I've since been recommending it to everyone I know. It's a mockumentary and its self-depricating humour is exactly what I needed after the shitshow that was 2020.

Downton Abbey (2019)
I wanted to watch this at the cinema, but had nobody to watch it with and it never made it outside of the independent cinemas and so it wasn't running for very long. Long story short: I missed it. Then I found it on Prime and ofc I had to watch it. All the nostalgia came flooding back and I realised how much I had loved this show, to the point where I started to watch the show again.

His House (2020)
The first horror movie of the year and it was weird. Not bad weird, just weird. I loved that it was the woman who saved the day even after being repeatedly told by her husband that he'd handle things and she shouldn't worry about it. On top of being a horror movie it was also a heart-wrenching account of war and refugees and trying to find your footing in a foreign country. I enjoyed it despite its weirdness, and there were some really creepy moments. 

Hot Fuzz (2007)
I have a hard time with comedy, usually, because all it tends to be is me hiding behind a pillow in shame and embarrassment, which is why I had never seen this one. Toni talked me into watching this with him after it showed up on Netflix and I had a great time. This is a classic and it's so much fun. Absolutely loved it.

Little Evil (2017)
Horror comedy is usually my cup of tea and this was no exception. It was funny. It had jumpscares. And it was heart-warming in all the right places. It's a parody of Omen and it showed, but it was definitely better than I thought it would be. 

No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
Our horror movie for Halloween week. It was great up until the monster reveal as these things usually are. Same as with The Ritual last year. But from what I could tell online they did a pretty decent job with the mythology. I did spend the entire time feeling exasperated that this girl who's an illegal immigrant is so damned trusting, especially of people who are in the same desperate situation she is. But other than that, this movie was solid. The internet doesn't agree with me that it was solid, though.

The Mitchells vs. the Machines (2021)
One of the first movies we watched this year and probably my favourite movie of the whole year. It's funny and chaotic and heart-warming. It shows the value of family without getting high and mighty over what's normal, all the while providing a stiff middle-finger to the idea of conformity. I love it! The humour is tongue-in-cheek and extremely punny. Both of us were laughing our asses off watching this. I laughed until I cried. It was great.

The World's End (2013)
The next movie in the Cornetto trilogy that I had amazingly never seen before, due to me being skepitcal of comedy. It was hilarious. Not as good as Hot Fuzz, but still so funny. 

Watchmen (2009)
This one was on everybody's lips back when it was new and I overheard many discussions concerning whether it was good or not and how it had dealt with the source material. Somehow I never watched it back then, but it showed up on Netflix this year and so we decided to watch it. Having never read the source material I can't say how it did there, but I really enjoyed the movie. Especially Rorschach (should come as no surprise to anybody).

Zombieland: Double Tap (2019)
The original Zombieland was one of the first movies Toni and I watched together as a couple. So when this one showed up on Netflix it was a given that we would watch it. It was fun. It was good. There were a lot of laughs. Especially during the scenes where they meet different versions of themselves. Not as good as the original, but a solid movie. 

Tulip Fever (2017)
I watched this movie on TV during Christmas, because it was on. I had no idea what it was, but I became weirdly invested in it as I first lazily threw an eye in the direction of the TV and then couldn't stop watching. There wasn't a lot of action or humour, but the storytelling was great and I do enjoy a good story. 

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020)
I watched this movie on my own last year and I really liked it. I nagged on Toni to watch it, simply because he tends to enjoy movies starring Will Ferrell even if he doesn't enjoy Eurovision. He wasn't convinced. But then I got to choose a movie for us to watch for my birthday so I decided that we should watch this. I enjoyed it the second time around too. Toni wasn't convinced. But we spent weeks afterwards singing Ja Ja Ding Dong

Death to 2021 (2021).
We started the year by watching Death to 2020, and we finished the year by watching Death to 2021. This one wasn't as great as the first one, but it made us chuckle from time to time. 2021 has been a hell of a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!