Wednesday 6 January 2021

Movies I watched in 2020

Let's clarify this title by saying that I mean modern movies. Because I watched a fair few of black-and-white old-timey horror movies as well.

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)
I watched this movie on my laptop during a pretty dead night shift and it was way better than I thought it would be. I'm not a fan of Jim Carrey; he tends to be too exaggerated imo, but he was pretty good as Dr Robotnik. I grew up watching the animated Sonic series and ofc I have played the Sonic games, so this was also a pretty neat nostalgia trip.

Birds of Prey (2020)
This is also a movie I watched on my laptop during a dead night shift. As always I really enjoyed the girl power in it. After everything bad I had heard about Suicide Squad I didn't have any expectations for this movie, which may be why I ended up liking it so much. But Harley has always been one of my favourite DC characters. 

Aquaman (2018)
We watched this for a date night and it was really good. Better than I thought it would be tbh. 

Detective Pikachu (2019)
Another date night movie. Both of us grew up with Pokémon and so we had a lot of fun with this movie. Best part was that Mewtwo didn't have to be the bad guy in this one.

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020)
Another one I watched on my phone during a pretty dead evening shift (there were lots of dead shifts in spring 2020). As a Eurovision geek this movie hit all the right targets. I especially loved that Edinburgh was the host city for the competition (as if the UK would win lol). I was a little bit wary of watching a movie with Will Ferrell in it since he's usually in movies I cringe at, but this movie was just the right level of funny. I loved the song along and all the known Eurovision faces/songs that showed up in that scene. It got all the glittery, gay, tacky, over-the-top bs about Eurovision right. I only recently learned that Graham Norton is the Eurovision host in the UK, but after watching this movie I wish I could tune in to watch Eurovision in the UK every year. I could definitely watch this again. PLAY  JA JA DING DONG!!

It: Chapter Two (2019)
We watched the first part at the cinema, but then life happened and we somehow missed that part two got released. So we watched this one on Netflix one night. The adaptation is really, really close to the book. And I'm still disappointed about It's actual appearance. 

Joker (2019)
This movie was amazing. I'm going to assume everybody has felt like they're going to go insane by society's expectations at some point, which is what makes this scarily relatable but also so so good. Probably movie of the year for me. 

Venom (2018)
We like superhero movies so it was a given that we would watch this at some point. We talked about seeing it at the cinema in 2018, and then talked about watching it all of 2019, and then we finally did in 2020. Good things come to those who wait? Meeeh. This movie was pretty meh. Entertaining but probably in the bottom tier of the movies we watched in 2020. 

Enola Holmes (2020)
I made us watch this. I was excited for this movie. I really liked this movie. It was upbeat and fun and just the right amount of girly. Toni felt it was very very meh. I want to watch it again. Sometimes we commit to the stereotypes. (Very rarely).

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)
For Halloween week we decided it was time to watch a scary movie for date night. I looked up a bunch of trailers on Netflix, pitched the ones I liked the most to Toni and then we decided on this one. Both of us are kind of wary when it comes to horror movies, because they usually follow the same pattern and end up being just thoroughly disappointing. This one was actually good. We both liked this one. First scary movie we've watched in years and we both enjoyed it. Thanks, Netflix.

Annihilation (2018)
With the previous success we decided to watch another horror movie. But this time we didn't do the research. The trailer for this looked good when we were scrolling through Netflix. It started with so much potential and ended up being really... dumb. And that's what we both dislike about horror movies. They start out so so promising and then they just fall flat on their face. Like this one did. Even with Natalie Portman in it.

Before I Wake (2016)
The last movie of the year continued the horror theme, but this time we did the research. Or rather I did. Same procedure as for Scary Stories. And this one was also really good. Not as good as Scary Stories, but it didn't fall flat and we both enjoyed it. The premise has been done before, but not to death, so that was a nice change. I loved the ending. Which was also a nice change for a horror movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!