Sunday 17 January 2021

The Queen's Gambit

I saw that this show featured chess and I was vaguely intrigued so I chose to pick it up. I fell in love with it pretty quickly, because even if it features chess as the one thing the protag's whole world revolves around, the show and story is about Beth Harmon; an angry little orphan who gets addicted to tranquilizers at a young age, discovers chess, goes on to wow the world all the while digging herself deeper into a hole of alcohol and destruction. 

It doesn't hurt that I like chess, though. I used to play chess as a child but I was never any good at it and I didn't have the motivation to study and practice and get better. Knowing the basics of chess probably helped to appreciate this show on a different level, but even if you know nothing about chess you'll like it if you enjoy stories about complicated people. 

And Anya Taylor-Joy is probably the prettiest person I've seen in ages. Damn, those eyes *w*

Anyway, this show's got so many layers and watching it I couldn't wait to see what Beth would do next. How would she get herself out of her next mess? Really rooting for her to come through this time. Groaning internally as she fell off the wagon again. Rinse and repeat. Even though it's just eight episodes.

The end was glorious. I was smiling like a fool.

 

If the trailer doesn't convince you then have a look at the Behind the Scenes. There may be some light spoilers, though, but it mostly concerns plotting, casting and wardrobe.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!