Tuesday 22 February 2022

Game completed: Vampire's Fall Origins

I picked this game up on a whim from a sale and mostly just because it said vampire in the title. 

But this is a port of a mobile game and the graphics make that clear. The gameplay is pretty simple, but there's a lot of content anyway. 

There are several bosses in the game; some are static and never leave their lairs so you can go to them and fight them; some are roaming and you basically just have to hope they'll turn up and that when they do you're strong enough to beat them. Dodging and Blocking are RNG mechanics, but you can raise the percentages with the help of equipment and levelling. When I felt finished with the game my percentage was around 50% for each, which is pretty high. The fighting reminds me of old-style JRPGs and is turn-based. You can't use potions mid-fight, but you have one healing ability (which I came to rely heavily on).

The game has a main quest and a multitude of side quests. 60 sidequests in the base game and around 50 in the DLC. The story is that you're a rookie wanting to sign up to fight the Witchmaster and his army. But before you have a chance to properly sign up the Witchmaster attacks the town you're in and kills everyone (except a guy named Sava), and he accidentally turns you into the very first vampire (so named because it happens in the town of Vamp'Ire). Sava either goads you into turning him or forces you to do it, so now you're two. Sava disappears for most of the game and you go off the hunt down the Witchmaster. The story for the base game ends when you find him and that's also when you find out his motivations for doing what he did. It's all kind of sad, really. The only thing left for you to do is what the DLC is all about - hunting down Sava. 

One game mechanic is called Rebirth and it's basically a NG+. It resets all the sidequests (but not the main quest) and all the bosses. You get to keep your levels and experience and gear, but now you can get even better gear that was unavailable before your Rebirth. 

All the bosses in the base game are defeatable without any Rebirth. I did it. But in the DLC there are mazes which is a set of 4-6 bosses in a row, the next always harder than the one before. And they have to be completed in one go. You can't go there and defeat one and then come back and continue with the rest. If you leave before you're done they reset and you have to start over. These aren't just hard without Rebirths - they're pretty darn impossible. I got the best gear possible without any Rebirths and even if I could manage the first one or two bosses in a maze, I could never finish all of them. Because of the sheer increase in difficulty.

However, I decided I was done without defeating the mazes. I had done everything the game had to offer, except that, and I didn't fancy doing all of it all over again just so that I might be able to defeat the mazes, and otherwise have to do it all over again AGAIN. There are six levels of Rebirth...

I enjoyed this game a lot more than I thought I would. The game has a cheeky sense of humour and it has a lot of references to pop culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!