Sunday 6 December 2020

The Crown season 4

I was wary for this season, because with the introduction of Diana we're heading into modern territory and although it's now more than 20 years since she passed what happened is still embedded in people's memories and it still seems so fresh. I was six years old when she passed and, as a child living in a different country not yet old enough to pay attention to news, I didn't even notice. I learned about what had happened many years later and I didn't think anything of it other than that it was sad. My interest in royals came several years later.

But I found that they had handled it perfectly. They didn't skim the fact that Diana was way too young and thrust into a situation way out of her comfort zone. The royals behaved as they were brought up to believe they were supposed to, but nobody bothered to tell Diana why. The whole situation was a mess. 

A lot of things that maybe should've been in the season got pushed out for the whole Diana and Charles thing. Like the IRA bombing in the first episode... Shouldn't there have been more Ireland stuff in the season if they start out like that? And the whole thing with the wounded stag seemed extremely exaggerated. 

I only noticed in this season that they completely skipped anything Anne related in the previous seasons. In this season she's suddenly married with kids and the marriage isn't going well, but nowhere in the previous seasons did they mention marriage or even dating or her having kids. I knew it had happened, but even so it seemed pulled out of the blue when Anne briefly discussed her marriage with the Queen. I really enjoyed the episode where the Queen had invidvidual lunches with all four of her children. 

I loved everything related to Thatcher. She tried so hard and fought for what she believed in and really thought she could improve the country. And the country went against her every move. I was teary-eyed when the Queen awarded her the medal at the end of the season. 

This is still one of my favourite shows.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!