Monday 16 March 2020

Watching old, old movies part 11

Going through this list and here are my previous entries :)

31. The Uninvited (1944)
Another haunted house! With special effects that are still pretty good for being 70+ years old! This movie was a classical haunted house tale, which unfortunately meant that it was very, very predictable. Even the twist at the end didn't come as a surprise to me. But that's really on me for having watched too many haunted house tales and not on the movie. It has aged pretty well and I did enjoy watching it. This movie is apparently based on a book so I'll be looking into that. I still really dislike the whole notion of "We met two minutes ago but now I love you and want to spend my entire life with you" that's so prevalent in old movies, and this isn't an exception. But unusually enough they do make the effort to get to know each other on screen rather than just falling into each other's arms and proclaiming marriage. Overall I liked this movie. It gave me that whole creepy-cosy feeling that I like.

32. The Body Snatcher (1945)
Every movie where Boris Karloff has a major role is a joy to watch! This movie, based on the novel by Stevenson, stars Karloff as the titular body snatcher. The movie takes place in Edinburgh some years after the whole graverobbing mess of Burke & Hare was finished. I actually squealed when the camera panned of the Castle in the beginning. Karloff is just as imposing and creepy as always and his voice is so chillingly smooth. I love watching him play his part. This movie also has some skillful foreshadowing in a way that you don't realise it's foreshadowing until it happens. Every movie I've seen starring Karloff has had me glued to the screen and this is no different. The Black Cat remains my favourite Karloff movie, but this one isn't far behind.
Oh, and Bela Lugosi (a.k.a Dracula) is also in it.

33. Isle of the Dead (1945)
This movie was strange. We're in Greece and it's during the 1912 war and there's also a plague going around. The General of the troops go to an island to visit his wife's grave and an American correspondent go with him. On the island the General discovers that his wife's grave has been vandalised and the body stolen. They walk over to the only house on the island (I assume the home of the keeper?) and meet a bunch of people who are also visiting his home. The old woman is ofc superstitious and tells the General that the young woman in the house is a sort of mythical vampire creature because the woman in her care keeps getting sicker and weaker. The plague arrives at the house and they self-isolate (that's hitting pretty close to home atm) and try different approaches to stave off the plague that kills two of them before the climax of the movie. Which then reveals that yes there was probably (possibly, potentially?) a vampire-like spirit among them, but not the one they suspected. I didn't like this movie, because it was totally uneventful and extremely slow. I enjoyed seeing Karloff ofc, but it seems like the script for this didn't give him much to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!