Saturday 20 June 2020

Dealing with backlog: Deus Ex Human Revolution & Mankind Divided

Next up on my backlog was Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I've been curious about this game for some time and when I played it I liked it so much that I decided to get Mankind Divided as soon as I was done with Human Revolution.

Human Revolution was such an amazing introduction to the cyberpunk world of Deus Ex. I made sure to do all the sidequests to get as much out of the game as possible, and I loved everything about it until I was thrust into the DLC The Missing Link, midway through the game (Director's Cut does this apparantly) and for a second it seemed as if I had lost all my skill points. I was so pissed about this until some googling made it clear that you got them back in the end of the DLC. I would've played the DLC either way, but being thrust into it like that just made me hate it.

The environments of the game were amazing. I enjoyed running around in Detroit, but no place was as cool to explore as Hengsha. Adam didn't agree though, judging from his comment when you first approach the island. An island so crowded that they built a second floor... But it looks so cool *_*

The story featured several wtf moments, not the least the reveal about Eliza Cassan. The majorest (I made that a word, shush) reveal came just towards the end from Darrow himself. And in the end you have a choice to make how you want the story to end. Two choices if you didn't save Sarif and Taggart; four if you saved them.

I chose Darrow's ending, and lucky I did because Mankind Divided made it clear that that was the dev's canon ending.

While playing Human Revolution I didn't think much of it, but after finishing Mankind Divided I realised that I really missed the banter between Adam and Pritchard.

Mankind Divided was so much better than Human Revolution imho. It seemed more polished somehow. I put every effore into finding all the collectibles and doing all the sidequests while playing through this game

As much as I enjoyed Hengsha in Human Revolution, Prague was better in every way. So much to do, so many places to explore - I love it!

Mankind Divided had so many characters that I couldn't help but like. Delara was one. Koller another. Helle a third.

The story in Mankind Divided makes a lot of sense after what happened at the end of Human Revolution and the world has turned from a simple cyberpunk existance to a dystopian one. Especially if you're augmented. I really enjoyed running around the world trying to alleviate everybody's problems, while trying to take down a terrorist organisation and turn the world back to acceptance of augs.

The sidequests that had the biggest impact on me was The Harvester and The Last Harvest. While Human Revolution mostly made out augmentations to be this wonderful thing, Mankind Divided really took its time to show how they could definitely be dangerous and how scientific advancement isn't always done with good intentions.

After I finished Mankind Divided I felt sad that it was over. No new Deus Ex on the horizon. No more Adam. Tumblr fangirls had my back :3 All the edits on Tumblr are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!