Thursday 6 May 2021

13 Reasons Why

I started watching this show last year. I had heard a lot about it, both good and bad, and decided to give it a go. The first season was really hard for me to watch, because bullying is something I have first-hand experience of and it gave me all the memories, even though my bullying wasn't so... hands-on. So that's why I waited 6 months to continue with the rest of the show. Second to fourth seasons weren't as hard to watch, but they still gave me all the feels. Especially the end of season four broke my heart. 

I enjoyed watching the second season and how it dealt with the fallout from the first season. It really showed what happens to the ones that are left behind after a suicide and it felt on-point to me. All the grief and the questions. 

When the third season came around I had no idea what to expect, since the second season pretty firmly dealt with all of the aftermath, but the third season escalated issues that were brought forth in the first two seasons and it did it brilliantly. 

The fourth season is all about Clay and I thought finally we're dealing with his obvious psychological issues. But it became so much more. Children on the verge of adulthood trying to find their voices and paths in life. While some paths end abruptly. I was so sad about Zach going completely downhill and Justin just broke my heart. 

Damn, this show was a ride. A really good ride. It dealt with a lot of current issues and I feel like it did so brilliantly. The horrors that can happen while growing up and still having to figure out who you are and who you want to be. And also realising that a lot of thing that grownups do that seems unfair is only because they try to protect you from the world. The world is pretty darn grim. Clay's speech on top of the car in season four is exactly my thoughts. They were my thoughts when I was 18 and they still are. 

This show was brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!