Saturday 8 May 2021

Shadow and Bone

I was super excited for this show and I've been waiting for it for over a year! The first season is based on the first book of the Grishaverse, also called Shadow and Bone. I fully expected to be sitting there watching and complaining about things they didn't get right. But just like with Good Omens, the show turns out right if the original writer is more literally involved in the process. 

Kaz & co. aren't in Shadow and Bone book, but the gang's addition to the plot was made flawlessly. What happened to Nina and Matthias isn't explored in the first book either, but the timeline adds up, so I'm glad they actually showed that part in the show. Nina, Matthias, Kaz, Inej and Jesper don't show up until the book Six of Crows - three books down the line. But I'm so glad to see them. When Kaz said 'No mourners' I automatically replied 'No funerals' before even Inej said anything. 

The book is literally all about Alina and from Alina's perspective. I really loved the scene where they show how the Darkling created the Fold. That scene isn't in the book (since it's all Alina) only explained and told that he did it. 

They've given the Darkling a name, which was interesting. Ofc he told Alina his actual original name, Aleksander, in the book as well, but for everyone else he was just the Darkling or the Black General. He never had a name in the books. But in the show he's Kirigan. 

I'm really excited for the second season. If the end of season one is any indication, then the second season of Shadow and Bone will feature both the plot for the second Alina-book as well as the plot for the first of the Kaz-books, or at least half the plot for the first Kaz-book. 

Which should mean that Nikolai will show up in the second season and I'm stoked. They got the casting for everyone absolutely right and I can't wait to see Nikolai in the flesh :3

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!