Sunday 29 January 2023

Game completed: New Tales From the Borderlands

Almost three years ago I played the original Tales From the Borderlands and it was probably the best thing Telltale ever made. So funny and so much action for a point-and-click. 

This game was made in the same spirit as Telltale's game, but it didn't quite hit the mark. The characters are funny and the story is very Borderlands. Rhys makes a return in this game, sporting a very dubious mustache. 

It falls short on the gameplay. Telltale's games are almost exclusively point-and-click, but there are usually some action elements mixed in. This game was almost like a movie. Most of the action taken by the player was either dialogue choices or QTEs.

I missed the classic "[...] will remember that" to indicate that an action or dialogue choice had an effect on a character's disposition towards another. Instead all I got was a cryptic message about the group not vibing enough. Like, game, you're not giving me any hints that I'm affecting this so I don't know what I can do about it. 

But yeah, funny characters, decent story, but lacking in gameplay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!