Wednesday 4 March 2015

Digimon!

I've always loved both Digimon and Pokémon, but for two completely different reasons. I love Pokémon because of the merch and the games. I love Digimon because of the show. The Pokémon anime is great, but it's always the same. Ash doesn't age and it's always him and Pikachu battling, trying to become the best and as far as I know that hasn't happened yet (although the show's been on for 18 years). With Digimon it's different. The characters have depth. They have strengths and flaws and they develop throughout the show. The group keeps splitting up so the characters can learn more about themselves and then rejoin when their personal journey is over. You can see the progress they make and it's an amazing adventure just to watch the show.

I'm currently working on rewatching Pokémon, Sailor Moon and Digimon. This is the first time I watch the shows since I was 9 years old and Digimon is still my favourite. Like with Sailor Moon I watch Digimon in original Japanese and to be blunt - both the English and Swedish dubs can get out of here. They are nothing compared to the awesomeness that's the Japanese original. To begin with the English opening sucks, and if possible the Swedish opening that I grew up with sucks even worse. The Japanese opening is glorious.

English | Swedish | Japanese

Just like when I grew up Sora is my favourite character and Tailmon/Gatomon is my favourite Digimon. Although I really do like Patamon as well, but that may just be because he resembles a rabbit. A flying rabbit :3 On top of the awesome intro, the awesome character developments and awesome story of Digimon there's also the awesome song played when the Digimon digivolve and fight. Honestly, I was waving my arms around and lip-syncing to it like a crazy person during every single episode. So here are two videos with that song: One where it's subbed, because the lyrics are amazing, and one where it's during digivolution and preparation for the final battle. You gotta love it, people!

The song with subs | Preparations for final battle. The sound is a little off and there are no subs so if you want to skip to the digivolution it starts at 2:00

Then there are the names. Like some digimon names are changed. I can understand some of those changes. I can definitely understand why some of the characters' names are changed as well:
Taichi - Tai
Yamato - Matt
Sora - Sora
Jyou - Joe
Mimi - Mimi
Koushirou - Izzy
Takeru - T.K.
Hikari - Kari
So I can understand how most of those changes happened. But how the hell did Koushirou become Izzy? O_o
I'm also shipping Taichi with Sora, and if the movie Our War Games is any indication then that ship is very canon. But I also can't help creating headcanons for some of the Digimon. Like I can totally see Devimon, LadyDevimon and PicoDevimon/DemiDevimon as a family. 
Devimon and LadyDevimon

And I can also see Angemon and Angewomon as a couple. Is that just me?
Angewomon and Angemon
I'm really looking forward to continue watching this show. And I even have a brand new show to wait for: Digimon Adventure Tri is coming out this year! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!