Monday 28 June 2021

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids DLC

I played the base game at the end of last year, basically as soon as it dropped, and had a blast. So when the first story DLC released last week I had to play it. 

After not having played the game for months it was an adventure to just get back into the game.
"Where's my horse?"
"Alright, how do I get off my horse?"
"HELP HOW DO I DODGE?!!?!?"
There were a fair few trips into Options and Key Bindings in the beginning. (Maybe trying my hand at the free update Mastery Challenges right off the bat wasn't such a good idea?) But then off we went to Ireland.

It didn't take long to figure out that the DLC was pretty much just more of the same, and why should anyone expect otherwise. I kind of liked Bárid from the start, and everything Flann Sinna did exasperated me. I really did like Ciara, though, and it hurt me to watch the story hurt her. 


Exploration offered a host of many more collectables, I was so sad to realise that both flying papers and cairns had made it into the DLC. I liked chasing after most of the wealth and artifact collectables in this DLC, though. And raiding was just as fun as I remembered. I really enjoyed the addition of trading posts to be claimed and restored. I brought all of them up to max and finished all of Azar's trading deliveries. 

I don't know much about Celtic mythology/history so can't really say how accurate they're being, but judging from how they've handled the Viking aspect then maybe I can be somewhat reassured that they've handled it (mostly) well. 

I wish the game had given a way to remove the druids' poisonous fog somehow. Maybe the same way as removing cursed symbols? It was somewhat annoying to keep running through areas covered in green fog long after I had cleared it of enemies. 


I enjoyed going through another Order tree; this time the Children of Danu, and trying to figure out where the members were and get clues to the next one. Halfway through the story/the tree I had already figured out who the mastermind was, though. 

The DLC took me around 13 hours to complete, and I had a lot of fun, so well worth it :)

While playing through the base game I had this song stuck in my head. Playing through the DLC this song (and this particular version of it) was stuck in my head to the point where I turned off the in-game music and just had this song on repeat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!