Sunday 18 June 2023

Dealing with backlog: Horizon Zero Dawn

As usual I'm the last one to the party. When this game got released for PC back in 2020 I immediately bought it because I knew I wanted to play it, even though I knew the broad strokes of the story from having watched Toni play it. But it had a rough PC release so I waited before playing it and then other things got in the way.

Finally I decided it was time and it was an amazing ride!

As usual I wanted to do all the side content in a region before I moved on, but I soon realized that the Hunting Grounds were very difficult on a low level. So I left those and endeavoured to do them as the last thing in the game. I went on to do literally everything else. All the collectables, all the bandit camps, all the tallnecks and all the sidequests. Even all the weapon tutorials. 

The main story was just as amazing as I remembered, even more so now that I got all the details. 

I wish the game had had romance options and I wouldn't have had to kill Nil. I saw it coming. I just wish I didn't have to. I liked him. I also wished there had been more interactions with the Sun King and with Erend. And Petra was great. Just so many cool characters. 

The tallnecks were always an experience and I had a lot of fun climbing them. 

Interestingly the machines that scared me the most for the longest time were the bellowbacks. Not even fireclaws in the DLC were as scary. 

I left the DLC until after I had finished the main story of the base game. Frozen Wilds was really cool and Aratak is big brother material. Finding out some backgroun for Sylens was interesting too. He's a really interesting character, morally grey and incredibly shrewd. 

After I had 100%ed Frozen Wilds I went back to the base game and collected some last achievements and did all the hunting grounds and with that 100%ed the base game too. I wanted to try to collect all the datapoints I had missed, but some were in side rooms in main story locations that seemed to have become inaccessible once that story quest was completed. So I gave up that idea pretty soon. 

This game gave me a huge post-game hangover and even if I've started another game now I still think about HZD every day. I can't wait for Forbidden West to drop on PC!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!