Friday 29 August 2014

The New Doctor: Welcome, Twelve!

Two days ago I finally got to see Deep Breath, the first episode of series 8 and the first episode with Capaldi as the Doctor. From the moment Capaldi was announced as the new Doctor I instinctively knew he'd be awesome. And after seeing Deep Breath I really think he was. Sure he started out weird and to begin with I wasn't really sure what to think about him, but then he grew on me and when the episode ended he had surpassed both 9th and 11th in my book, and gone straight to my heart.

Don't read any further if you haven't seen the episode.

What I loved most about Deep Breath (except 12th obv) was all the references to earlier episodes. The dinosaur in the beginning was a reference to a Classic Who episode where there also is a T-rex in London.

12th saying he needs new clothes and a really long scarf was obviously a hint towards 4th Doctor Tom Baker - the most loved Doctor in Classic.

Then ofc the comment "You've redecorated. I don't like it." It's a classic comment, said by every single incarnation of a Doctor that ever visited another one. This time Clara said it, but it worked just as well.

They mentioned a pocket watch and if it is what I think it is, then it's a reference to the fob watch 10th used when he hid in 1913.

He mentioned Amy! :D

And then the robots and all these references to The Girl in the Fireplace. When we were told that the robots were from SS Marie Antoinette sister ship of SS Madame de Pomadour I was on the edge of my seat "Oh! Oh! Oh!" :D

And then his face. The fact that 12th walks around the episode wondering where he got his new face, convinced that he recognises it from somewhere before, is obviously a hint towards all the fans who complained that Capaldi couldn't be the new Doctor because he had already been in an episode before. I love it. It feels so in your face.

They said "Geronimo"! :D

And then the cameo by Matt Smith. It had me teary eyed and I knew who it was already before it was revealed. I recognised his voice instantly.

All in all I love 12th. He made a fantastic impression and I'm no less excited about Capaldi's run now than when I was when he was first announced. This is going to be epic. 12th feels like a best friend. He also feels similar to 1st, a young soul trapped in an old man's body. Although the Doctor really isn't young anymore. He has similar quirks as 2nd and 10th. He's amazing. Already, he's amazing. I've seen one episode and he's already amazing. (That's too many "amazing" in a row). He should have credit for that. I wasn't convinced of 9th, 10th or 11th after their first episodes. Basically, I started loving 12th when he opened the TARDIS door and told Strax to hush! :P

And I'm not worried about the Doctor. Both Moffat and Capaldi are life-long fans of the show. This is going to be great.

I'm the Doctor. I've lived for over two thousand years, and not all of them were good. I've made many mistakes, and it's about time I did something about that.
You can't see me, can you? You look at me and you can't see me. You have any idea what that's like? I'm not on the phone, I'm right here. Standing in front of you. Please, just... Just see me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!