Tuesday 21 June 2016

Fallout 4 DLCs: Automatron, Far Harbor and Wasteland Workshop (+ the other endings of base game)

Yesterday I completed my second round of Fallout 4. I'm one of those people who tend to play one game at a time. After I previously completed the base game story I stopped playing it. In the last days of May I picked it up again to play the DLCs.

I started with Automatron because it was released first. Sad to say it didn't really leave an impression. It was too short. It was fun to see the Mechanist again (though I really doubt it was the same person as in FO3) and the reveal at the end of the DLC was unexpected, but other than that it didn't give me much of an impression. The inclusion of Robo-brains was fun, I guess, but when they said robots I expected something like the Old World Blues DLC for New Vegas. I wanted something totally out-there, like the robots were in OWB. I wanted Bethesda to show me that they could be crazy fun without out-sourcing it :P Jezebel was the closest I got to OWB, and even that hit very far from home. So you could say I was a bit disappointed with this DLC.

Afterwards I continued with Far Harbor. Now we're talking! This was really good and even made me question whether my SS really was a human or had been a synth all along. The story starts as a case for Nick Valentine, but evolves into a power struggle of a piece of land submerged in deadly fog (why would you fight so hard over this place?) between three groups: the Children of Atom, the synths of Acadia, and the people of Far Harbor. What I really liked about Far Harbor was that the story was complex, with several layers and several possible outcomes. I chose the most peaceful one, where no one (well, almost no one) had to die and no faction was destroyed. And although I was initially suspicious of DiMA, the ancient synth who led Acadia, my emotions changed to affection and wanting to protect after I learned what was in his locked away memories (that was a really cool quest btw) and seeing his own reactions to what he had done. This DLC was really good :) Though the foggy light was really weird, especially during sunset and sunrise and radiation storms. The light got so weird it made it hard to see properly.

On a side note, there was a side quest in this DLC that finally gave me the crazy Robo-brains that I wanted in Automatron. And also the crazy Vaults that I had been missing in base game. Double bonus!
 1). The Mechanist in Fallout 3. 2). Hermit Crab in Far Harbor. 3). Feral ghouls watching a movie that's been playing for 200 years. 4). Welcome to Atom. 5). DiMA ♥ 6). Nick telling it as it is

After completing Far Harbor I decided to gain the three achievements that came with Wasteland Workshop. I'm not at all crazy about the settlements or the workshop/building thing. Mostly I think the mechanics of the whole thing are annoying and that Bethesda should take a look at build mode in The Sims before designing any new building games. You want this wall at a 90 degrees angle? Too bad! It's gonna click together to a straight line! You have to choose an actual corner-wall (with lots of crap on it I just want a plain old wall you stupid f***) if you want a 90 degrees angle. Also, things will 99,9% of the time be floating in the air and not actually standing on the ground, although it looks like it's on the ground from the angle you're standing when you're building, so when you move after completing the thing you have to redo the thing because it's actually in the air and not on the ground. Are you f****** kidding me?!

But the three achievements were relatively easy to get. I had been a good player and completely upgraded the perk Strong Back so I could fast-travel and run while being over-encumbered. So I had collected every single collectable thing from every location ever. So I had the mats. The first achi was to build one of every cage. Done. The other two was to stage a spectated arena match, and to have five tamed creatures in one settlement. I struggled with the tamed creatures. Mostly because I wanted one of each, but although the creatures weren't hostile to my settlers or me they were still hostile to each other so they kept killing each other. Looked it up and it said I had to have creatures that are not naturally hostile to each other, and that the easiest would be to have five of the same kind. Alright. I decided to collect five deathclaws. While waiting for the deathclaws to be trapped in my cages I decided to stage the arena match, but I struggled again. I assigned random settlers for it, but they died too quickly and it didn't come up as spectated although I had built the quitting time siren. Read up on it and discovered that I hadn't actually turned the siren on ^^; and that it was better with companions because they couldn't die so the match would keep going long enough to become spectated. I saved before assigning Nick and Strong to their spots. At this point I had three deathclaws in my settlement. The achievement popped almost immediately, but strangely enough the deathclaws became hostile to Strong when he was fighting Nick in the arena, and I didn't want Strong to eventually kill my hard-earned deathclaws so I reloaded my save from before the arena. Didn't bother to redo the thing. The achievment had popped so I no longer needed the arena. Soon after I got my next two deathclaws and the last achievement popped ^^  While I was doing building stuff I decided to get the achievement for 100% happiness as well, while I was at it. I followed this guide, and chose the easy path - a settlement with only one settler. I realised that it worked as I watched the happiness slowly increase from 80 to 91. Then I got tired of waiting and used console commands to get to 99 so I only had to wait for that one last point :P

When I had recieved those achievements I decided that it was time to reload my old saves and discover the other endings to the base game. In my original run I had sided with the Railroad and seen it through to the end. I had created separate save files at critical points so I could go back and choose another path without having to play through the entire game again. I started with The Institute. I followed their path and was heartbroken when I was sent to kill the Railroad. The fight against the Brotherhood of Steel didn't impact me much. Being back at the Intistute made me remember how I always felt weepy when talking to Shaun. It's so unfair. Being with Shaun when he died was so sad, but it felt so redeeming after killing a dying man when I was siding with the Railroad.

Then I went to do the Brotherhood of Steel line. That took a lot longer. I had been spoiled that Danse was a synth so that reveal wasn't very shocking, but that quest was still amazing, and I'm so glad that I managed to get Danse out of that pickle alive. And then I awakened Liberty Prime. Walking alongside Liberty Prime and protecting him while getting him to the target felt incredibly nostalgic. That scene was taken from Fallout 3 and Liberty Prime is still so cool ♥ I still felt horrible that Shaun became a casualty in taking down the Institute, but the quest to destroy the Institute still felt awesome (same in BoS line as in RR line). While I maintain that the Railroad is the faction I like the best, the Brotherhood of Steel had the most amazing quest line and if I ever do another complete playthrough of FO4 I'll go full-out BoS. Danse quickly became my third favourite companion (he eclipsed Deacon and Cait) and I wanted to romance him but after his big reveal and the completion of the BoS quest line that didn't work - even with console commands. So I looked up his romance on Youtube and that only endeared him to me more.
 Liberty Prime in Fallout 3 versus Liberty Prime in Fallout 4

On a side note, when I picked up the game again I realised how incredibly sick I was of the songs on the radio so I permanently turned the radio off xD But here are the two I really like for good measure. The first one also makes me mega-nostalgic for Fallout 3 ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!