Wednesday 2 May 2018

Dealing with backlog: Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim

I had high hopes for this game. It seemed like it would be a hilarious visual novel kind of game, but instead it turned into a cringey, wannabe-RPG kind of game.

I don't mind having stats or equipping things to increase them or have fights during random encounters, but I do mind when they seem haphazardly put together. I also mind when the game randomly can't load script and all you see is a script page from Windows 8.1 (which I assume is the dev's OS). It's an indie game so I didn't expect the greatness of AAA games, but compared to other indie games I've played recently this was very sloppily made. It's just copypaste of photos and pictures made in Paint, and extremely cringey voice-acting, which I turned off after the first 15 minutes because that's how long I could stand it. 

I love the Lovecraft mythos and I was looking forward to a game which also showed its love for the mythos but turned it all on its head and joked about it. But the devs of this game seems to have read a story or two and then tried to joke about it while creating a game for an afternoon in their mom's basement.

I had such high hopes :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!