Wednesday 13 June 2018

Dealing with backlog: Wolfenstein The New Order

I got this for Christmas back when it was first released and I originally tried to play it back in early 2015. However I was too much of a noob back then and managed lots of nooby mistakes before I even got to Berlin, which got me stuck and made me quit playing.

I knew what I had done wrong and this time I had a bunch more experience with shooters than three years ago. So it was time to try again.

I went into this game expecting a shoot-em-up without much story, but instead I found myself getting invested in the characters and I found so much more story than I bargained for, which was a nice surprise. Ofc the whole ambiguous point of the ending has been spoiled for me as I have seen the trailer and a little bit of gameplay from The New Colossus, but I guess that's how it goes when one plays a game years after release ;)

While the game had lots of epic moments, my absolute favourite was going to the moon. That was incredibly unexpected and so awesome and I had a lot of fun playing that part of the game.
I also enjoyed the prison camp part where I got several side quests that temporarily made the game feel less linear.

But my favourite part of any game is usually the base, the home, and getting to know the characters. I don't think there's any member of the resistance that I didn't like. I even got strangely attached to Tekla. And I loved getting to play around in the old Wolfenstein game in the base.

The final fight against Deathshead was strangely anti-climactic. After my long and badass and heart-wrenching fight against Deathshead's supersoldier/B.J.'s old friend, that final confrontation didn't amount to much and it seemed like it was over too quickly.

This was a much greater game than I expected and I'll enjoy killing Frau Engel in the next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!