Sunday 25 November 2018

Dealing with backlog: Two old Telltale games

Back to the Future
Funny thing: I was never such a big fan of the movies. I have seen them, of course, I know their stories and characters, but I just never got that wow feeling from watching them. But I picked up this game and Tales of Monkey Island because I wanted to experience the early things from the Telltale portfolio. Back to the Future is divided into five episodes in the true Telltale spirit. I wasn't overly fond of the first episode so after having played through that it took me a while to actually get going with the other four. But once I did the story really evolved and got surprisingly good (I might actually like this game more than the movies). Episodes 3 and 4 are the best ones. I didn't really like the ending. But here you have a time travel story that involves 1920's gangsters, speakeasies during the probation period, Marty meeting his grandparents, both Marty and Doc being in danger of being written out of existence, a dystopian Hill Valley, and a Hill Valley that just blinked out of existence, and more often than not it's up to Marty (you) to save everything and get everything back to the way it was/is supposed to be.

Tales of Monkey Island
I've only played the very first Monkey Island game, but as I really enjoyed that I felt like this game was a must-play! As with Back to the Future this game is divided into five episodes and I wasn't really a fan of the first episode, and so it took me a while to get going with the other episodes. But just as with Back to the Future once I got around to playing the other episodes they proved really good. Once again episodes 3 and 4 are the best ones. This is a story of Guybrush Threepwood thinking he has once and for all ultimately defeated LeChuck, only to accidentally cure LeChuck from his zombie pox and instead releasing it upon the world. Now Guybrush must find a way to cure the Pox from the Caribbean, but first of all he must figure out how to get off Flotsam Island and put some water between himself and the crazy French doctor who wants to chop off his Pox-infected hand. On the way towards the end he (you) gets to meet mer-people. he gets to befriend the cured LeChuck, he gets to spend a couple of days inside a giant manatee, and he gets to defend himself on the trial of the people vs. Guybrush Threepwood. Just as the name Monkey Island promises, this is a wild ride from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!