Wednesday 1 April 2020

Playing Skyrim quest mods: Helgen Reborn

This mod was strange. It seemed like this neat little thing that lets you rebuild Helgen, and I figured why not. Turns off there's so much more to it than that.

So it starts off with you meeting this old guy at an inn and then convincing the leader of the bandits who have now holed up in Helgen that they should instead try and rebuild rather than destroy. Turns out these bandits aren't actual bandits but members of a secret order and the old guy knows their leader since way back.

So off we go to make the area safe by clearing out undead, necromancers, vampires and bandits from different locations in the area. The one that made the biggest impression on me was the mine where somebody had summoned a dremora who killed everybody and made the mine haunted. Every single effect in that location was amazing and I was just waiting for the jumpscares. The best part was when I discovered the remains of an Oblivion gate at the bottom of the mine.

Fast-forward a bit and we have saved the remaining members of the secret order from the Thalmor as well as recruited a bunch of people to act as city guards. Time to take the fight to the Thalmor. Somehow we're directed to a tavern in Hjaalmarch. Only it turns out that the tavern is more of a... brothel. And I was so not prepared for it that I was laughing my ass off listening to the noises on a faded-to-black screen. But apparently my Dovahkiin is a godess in the sack :P

With my sex powers we have now got the information we need from the girl in the "tavern" and off we go to fight the Thalmor. We save a bunch of people destined to be sold into slavery inside a cave, but when we go out the Thalmor are waiting for us and cast paralysis spells on us. When we wake up we're a prisoner of the Thalmor. Aerandil, the leader, asks us to bring the leader of the secret order to him at the Thalmor prison. Lure him to his death. We do so with the full intention of beating his ass later. The last part of the mission turns into a big battle where all the characters are involved. It ends in tragedy and you're invited to participate in the funeral back at Helgen.

But hey, at least you've rebuilt a town.

Overall I enjoyed this mod. There were some minor grievances. Like I really, really, really didn't like Korst's voice-acting. It was too immersion breaking for me. Every other voice actor was amazing though. In the very beginning there's this part where you sign up as a fighter in an illegal arena to win back money that the lumberjack was supposed to use for lumber for your rebuilt town, but instead gambled away. And that would've been fun if the cave it was in hadn't been designed in such an annoying way. But due to the design completing this part just became a hassle of running back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. But I had actually forgotten about the arena part of the mod until I saw it in a video review of it. So with Korst's voice-acting as my only real grievance I'd say this mod is pretty darn great. Go get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!