Monday 14 November 2022

Game completed: Far Cry 6

I got this game when it was new, installed it and everything, and then didn't play it until now. 

Far Cry 6 feels more Far Cry than Far Cry 5 imho. We have the crazy, fun characters. We have the unwilling protagonist. We have bases to take over and animals to hunt. We have areas to free and hostages to rescue. We have drugs and crazy doctors and really cool guns.

So they went back and got the crazy characters and missions from Far Cry 3, kept the crazy weapons from New Dawn and Blood Dragon, and got the dictator from Far Cry 4? And Hurk isn't in it? But Danny Trejo is?! This is awesome!

I really liked Dani from the start. She's got some real attitude and lots of spunk, but she feels like a real person through all the crazy shit she has to go through. The characters and missions made me sometimes laugh and sometimes cry and they were always engaging. I had a really good time with this game!

The Stranger Things update/addon was really cool. Running for my life from a Demogorgon was a lot of fun and just the right amount of scary.

Any criticisms I have mostly revolve around endgame tbh. After you finish the story you end up back at camp and every week a specific zone will get taken over by insurgents and you once again get to run around and take over bases and outposts to find clues towards an iunsurgent leader which you then kill. It's a stupid way to make the game last longer - "Here, we undid all these things you did so that you can do them again! FUN!" No. No it's not. 

The DLCs are basically rougelite runs through the minds of Vaas, Pagan Min and Joseph respectively. Roguelites are not my thing so when I booted up Vaas's DLC and it said "if you die you lose your gear and perks and have to start over" I just felt my entire will to play sink to the bottom. But I played through it, got through it and at the end it wanted me to play again to beat my own high score. Really?! No.

I had a lot of fun with the main game. It's just the endgame and DLCs that kind of ruined it for me, but at that point I was already mostly done with everything so it didn't really matter.

What did matter however was that Ubisoft Connect crashes every single time I try to use the screenshot button. It occasionally had that problem in AC Valhalla too (for over two years now). Although in Valhalla it wasn't every time, only sometimes. In Far Cry 6 it was every single time. I discovered this when I was playing through the Stranger Things update/addon and wanted to screenshot everything because it was so damn cool and it kept crashing on me every single time. And every time I had to start the questline from the very beginning. Ffs. Not even an autosave after cutscenes, Ubi? Why you gotta hurt me this way? /s The result being that I had to restart the update like five times before I gave up on screenshotting anything, with the added result that I don't have any screenshots at all from this game because photo mode is more hassle than it's worth. Let me just press my one single button without having to mess around with settings in photo mode T_T

So TL;DR: Base game great, endgame bad. DLCs are meh and Ubisoft Connect sucks.

I also ended up really enjoying the music in this game. It was mainly all in Spanish with the added feature that after every session I'd come away with Despacito stuck in my head. And Despacito isn't even in the game xD I burst out laughing the first time a car drove by Dani totally blasting Livin La Vida Loca on full volume xD But I really came to like the songs by the in-game band Maximas Matanzas. Not the kind of stuff I usually listen to, but man it's bombastic and grand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!