Friday 31 October 2014

Creatures of the Night

Ell stole this list for her blog and now I'm unceremoniously stealing it for my own :) The point of this list is to mention a novel I've read that included one of these supernatural creatures:

1. Vampire
I am a fan of vampires. Saying that as a girl and people immediately think I'm referring to Twilight. No. I like the classics! But to be fair I haven't really read that many books including vampires. The latest one I can remember is the short story The Vampyre, written in 1819 by John Polidori. The story to inspire them all, and it really is amazing.

2. Werewolf
On the other hand I'm not overly fond of werewolves, and since I really want to do this list without mentioning Harry Potter I'm going to have to go with The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder. Though what features in that book probably isn't 'true' werewolves... But it's the only one I've got!

3. Zombie
I haven't even started reading The Walking Dead yet. Does it count with the resurrected family members in the end of Pet Sematary? Cause they really aren't alive anymore... I don't really do zombies.

4. Ghost
The obvious choice here is Death Watch by Ari Berk, and basically the entire Undertaker Trilogy. Read it if you haven't. It's a book series about death. Old lore about death and burial traditions in lots of different cultures. Lots of ghosts feature, and wraiths, and liches...

5. Witch/Warlock/Spellcaster
Not going with Harry Potter the obvious one for me here is The Belgariad by David Eddings. Belgarath was my first ever favourite character in a high fantasy series. He's a magician, a sorcerer, a warlock, and there are so many more of his kind involved in this series. Granted that last time I read the series I was 18, but I thought it was wonderful back then. I should re-read it.

6. Fairy/Fae
Stardust by Neil Gaiman. I don't remember much of the story unfortunately, but I know there are fairies in it!

7. Demon
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman. Could've gone with Sandman, but I want to keep this list free of graphic novels. One of the main characters in Good Omens is a demon.

8. Angel
He's not a very good angel, but he's an angel all the same - Islington in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

9. Alien
I don't read much sci-fi. Unless it's Doctor Who. So I'm gonna go with Ten Little Aliens by Stephen Cole. The title says it all, right?

10. Superpowered human
I thought this one would be easy, but I was wrong :P I'm going with Firestarter by Stephen King. A couple needs some extra money while in college and apply themselves as test subjects. Both of them develop supernatural abilities, and their daughter is born pyrokinetic.

This was fun and Halloween appropriate :D However, while writing this I came up with several more titles that I'd like to recommend to people interested in any of these creatures. Some of these suggestions may be better/more appropriate than the ones mentioned above, but I decided to keep it as I wrote it.
Vampires - The Vampyre, By Blood We Live, Skulduggery Pleasant, Vampirates, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Decided Ones
Werewolves - Skary Childrin and the Carousel of Sorrow, The Werewolf
Zombie - The Walking Dead, Necronomicon, The Cunning Man
Ghost - The Graveyard Book, Rivers of London
Witch/Warlock/Spellcaster - The First Law, Rivers of London, Den of Thieves, Courtney Crumrin, Assassin's Apprentice, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, The Wild Hunt, Skulduggery Pleasant
Demon - Dancing Jax, Sandman, Courtney Crumrin, Mister B. Gone
Alien - Necronomicon
Superpowered human - Heroes, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, The Dead Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!