Friday 13 October 2017

My last 5 books: Lots of YA, a bit of fantasy and a bit of comics

1. Library of Souls, by Ransom Riggs. The last book in Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children. It had been years since I read the previous book, but Riggs is great at reminding you what happened before without making it become tedious. This book was just as amazing as the previous two and I finished it very quickly. The whole ride was an adrenaline-filled adventure and I enjoyed every second of it. The ending is the only part I'm a little iffy about. The whole thing just feels too convenient







2. Insurgent, by Veronica Roth. I wasn't exactly extatic about Divergent. It was ok, but I still felt like I needed to know what happened next. So here were are, three years later and I'm finding out what happened next. So basically, I liked this one a lot more than both Divergent and Allegiant put together. I only have two issues with it. 1). Tris is such an idiot all the frickin time. 2). The translator makes Tobias sound like he's 12 y/o when talking about their relationship. But other than that? Top notch action-filled YA goodness.





3. Allegiant, by Veronica Roth. The last part of the Divergent series. Everything is messed up. I feel like Roth took on more than she could swallow by doing two perspectives at once. I also feel like the serums are way too powerful, more powerful than they've been throughout the whole series. It seems like everything we established in the first two books has been thrown out the window and new parameters have taken their place. There is a good way of doing this. There is a good way of showing the reader how the whole world changes and make it make sense. Roth's way is a confusing mess. This book is mostly about how Roth thinks she's a really good and experienced writer and then she shows the reader every way she is not.



4. Fables and Reflections, by Neil Gaiman. The sixth installment of the Sandman series. I love these comic books, but since they are comic books they are just short stories with recurring characters, with Dream making an appearance in every single story. My favourites in this installment were the one during the French revolution, the story of how Orpheus lost his love, and the story of Baghdad's lost glory. They were all so amazing (I'm pretty sure the Orpheus story is almost completely taken from an Ancient Greek legend, but it's been so many years since I read those)




5. The Last Wish, by Andrzej Sapkowski. The first book in the story of the witcher Geralt. I've played all the games and I loved them, so I thought it was time I read the books that the games are based on. I recognise a lot of the stories from the game. The stories told in this book all had repercussions in the games. For example, the first story with the striga is mentioned in the very beginning of the first game. And the story in Cintra has a big impact on the entire third game. And the story of how Yennefer and Geralt met is also important for things that happen in the third game. The book is told in an odd way and it took me half the book before I realised how the stories bound together, but other than the weird storytelling I really liked this book. Maybe more for nostalgic purposes than for the actual writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!