Wednesday 12 June 2019

Final Fantasy XIV

I've been curious about this game for quite some time and I finally decided to download the trial and play that. The game was incredibly cute, but I wasn't sure about the fighting (it seemed clunky) or the fact that there's sometimes voice acting but not always and the PC is always mute. It was so jarring to me.

But after getting to around lvl 15 I decided that I liked the game enough to actually buy it. The base game story is looooooooooong. Exceptionally long and it doesn't go by any faster with the constant distractions in the shape of dungeons, side quests and omg-you-can-be-every-class-on-the-same-toon-imma-do-everything!

Because the base game story is so goddamn long it also takes forever to actually get things happening. Most of the time it's just running all over the continent to fetch stuff or talk to different people. It's not until the attack on the HQ that things actually start to happen, and by then your character has passed level 40 (the end of the base game comes around level 50). From being some of the most boring content, the main story picked up towards the end and became totally epic!

Earlier on, when it became time to choose which Grand Company you wanted to belong to I chose the pirates and moved my home point from Gridania to Limsa Lominsa. Mainly because Merlwyb is totally badass and she's the main reason my little archer girl is going to be a machinist so I can run around and shoot guns too!

Funnily enough, none of the Scions really grew on me during the game although those were the characters with which you spend the most time. Most of them seemed a little bit too high and mighty. I wanted to like Minfilia and Alphinaud but they were just way up there with their attitudes. Yda is probably the only one I actually came to like the most. Smart but aloof.

My favourite regions to explore became La Noscea quite early on. I've never been much of a fan of desert areas in any game so Thanalan was mostly out. Gridania was very cute, but seemed a bit generic. La Noscea was absolutely stunning and no other regions had me stopping every few seconds to get screenshots. Except maybe Mor Dhona, but it's so small.

Despite all its faults FFXIV grew on me, and although I'm still not entirely comfortable with the fighting mechanics the game has grown on me enough that I'm really looking forward to continue on playing Heavensward and Stormblood and later on Shadowbringers.

Stay tuned~~♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!