Wednesday 19 June 2019

Dealing with backlog: Tomb Raider

I first tried to play this game in 2013, but I was too much of a noob back then and I kept getting stuck on the QTEs because I just couldn't time them properly. This year I decided to try again. Hopefully something had happened to my skill in the past 6 years. I watched Toni play it back in the day so I wasn't new to the story.

The first thing that struck me was how old it suddenly looked. I played it on High and I remembered it as this beautifully gorgeous game, and now it looked old. Funny how time does that.

I went for 100% completion and got it. The story was still really cool and I loved the environments in the different areas of the island. While I remembered the big strokes of the story I had forgotten the details so things like Roth's death and Whitman's betrayal still came as major surprises to me.

Apart from being a really cool-looking game, what really drew me to this game was the Japanese influenced mythology of the story. That really got me and I enjoyed every piece of Japanese-y thing the game threw at me.

This game paces its action perfectly, but when there's action it's ACTION! So much of it omg. The QTEs are never boring and a lot of the time I sat wincing at every new injury Lara sustained, especially when you missed a beat during the QTEs and had to watch Lara die in the most gruesome ways. 10/10 would miss again.

The challenges were nice and mostly easy and just gave me all the more reason to keep running around in all the stunning areas.

This game is an amazing reboot and I'm really looking forward to playing the two sequels now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!