Monday 17 June 2019

Game completed: Vampyr


I was very curious about this game when it was first released, but I mostly am whenever something with vampires shows up.

The game starts off with an exteremely generic story, but the story is so open-ended that you can decide it for yourself. I started off wanting to try my best to be a good guy, but the more I got to know the citizens the more I felt like "You all suck. You're horrible people." So I decided to let my good-guy vampire doctor become the villain and just slaughter everybody. I love that you can become the villain and not being stuck being the good guy like most games do. The turning point came after I was forced to kill my sister.

The game's strong point is definitely its NPCs. Talking to them, finding out their backstories and helping them with their needs/requests is the backbone of the game. The romance that popped up midway felt forced and I was quite happy when she broke it off after discovering that my vamp doc no longer was the innocent little newborn vamp that she'd have to protect and nurture.

The lore in this game is quite deep and I really enjoyed discovering the bits and pieces of it scattered throughout the game.

The only bad thing I can think of is the combat that felt a bit clunky, but imho it wasn't game-breakingly clunky. It was a bit odd, but not odder than you could get used to it.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed this game and I could definitely see myself playing through it again at a later point as a 100% good guy who doesn't kill anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!