Monday 29 July 2019

Catching up on Zelda games

Growing up with no brothers and no male relatives interested in games I didn't discover games until I was in my late teens/early twenties. So obviously there are a lot of classic that I've missed! One notable franchise that I've completely missed is The Legend of Zelda. So here are three Zelda games I played on my 3DS.

Ocarina of Time
Definitely the most popular games of them all and the one I've heard praised the most. It's definitely cute and the feel of the game was pretty straight-forward. Some puzzles required some time, but nothing that got me stuck. I did spend quite long in each dungeon, though. The very first dungeon inside the Deku Tree I stayed in for about one hour. Mainly because my hands aren't very good with controllers. Kb+m is much easier for me. The ocarina is very gimmicky, but such an integral part of the game that I couldn't imagine it without it. But fishing can just eff off in every game ever. It's such a pain! The game is very cute and quite enjoyable, but the dungeons get repetitive, even with the varying puzzles.
Ganondorf has a humongous nose.
And shut up, Navi!

A Link Between Worlds
I had a really hard time with this one right off the bat. Mostly because the game introduced moving platforms and blocking projectiles in several different directions in the very first dungeon and my clumsy controller hands struggled to keep up. But apart from this the dungeons are pretty straight-forward, although with seemingly more advanced puzzles than in Ocarina which made the later ones a real pain to get through. The story in this one has a better flow imo, because everything you do feels connected to the main story in a way Ocarina didn't. I really don't like the top-down view, though...However the mechanic of going inside walls is really cool :3 And the difference between Ocarina's "This is Navi and he's your personal fairy and he'll help you" versus LBW's "catch a fairy and put it in a bottle" is hilarious to me.
And Ganon... is a pig? O_o

Majora's Mask
This game stresses me out with the timer constantly on the screen xD This game is dark, and creepy, and the first part of the game is spent running around as a Deku rather than Link (well it *is* Link, but he's been transformed into a Deku). This is also a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, which in my book just means that Link just can catch a break! The ocarina plays a part in Majora's Mask as well, but now it seems even more gimmicky imo (although without the ocarina's time power the game would've ended within the first two hours). The mask system is pretty cool though!
The moon really creeps me out... I'll have nightmares about that moon...
And ofc Majora's weak spot is between the legs smh xD

After having played these three I think I must agree with the consensus (for once) that Ocarina of Time is the best one. At the same time I'm feeling like these games aren't really my thing. I enjoyed playing them, but they didn't wow me, and I can't pin-point why. RPGs and dungeon-delving are usually right up my alley. So yeah, I'm not gushing about these games but they were quite enjoyable and I'm happy they weren't 100+ hours games. I might give BotW a try one day! And I really needed this video to figure out how it's all connected:

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!