Sunday 21 July 2019

The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr

The hype gets less for every chapter. Or is that just me? The hype train left without me when they announced that there wouldn't be a physical Collector's Edition of this chapter. A dragon statue would've been perfect beside my Molag Bal, Dwarven Colossus, and Mephala  But ofc I still pre-ordered it! Now it's been a month since I finished the chapter, but here's a late post!

New class, new zone, new story and the return of a bunch of characters! I was pretty excited to get into it nonetheless. I immediately made a new character in the new class, necromancer, and started playing it. Got to say that while the necromancer has some pretty cool skills I didn't have as much fun playing it as I do playing templar or sorcerer. Imo necromancer was a pretty meh experience. However, it's a very versatile class (much like templar in that aspect) and a lot of people enjoyed it (and I got to admit that there are very few things as satisfying as summoning a flesh colossus on an enemy and have it pummel them to death).
 My angry little necro

I enjoyed the story a lot more when playing through it on my templar main, but that could be because several of the characters were old friends and acquaintances that were all too happy to see me again :3

The story revolves around Abnur Tharn, former high chancellor to the emperor and one of the five companions with whom you do the mainquest. Cadwell also plays a big part, so it's one big reunion from the mainquest days :3 Abnur has accidentally let loose dragons in Elsweyr. Dragons that had previously been imprisoned and the two dungeons in the earlier DLC tells the story of how that happened. The chapter continues with how they're defeating the dragons and I assume the next story DLC will show how they're getting rid of them again.

The story starts pretty slowly like these things do but the last few quests are just epic battle upon epic battle and I loved the final showdown.

Dragon battles spawn in specific points on the map and they're basically this chapter's anchors, which also work like extra world bosses. These dragon battles aren't as much fun as the Skyrim ones though. I think everybody expected Skyrim dragons, but we got something different and I'm not entirely sure that I like them. But that can be due to the sheer amount of people playing through this zone at the same time I did, which usually meant you had to run like an idiot to get to the fight in time and when you got there practically manage to just get in a hit or two before the dragon was dead. Their HP just melted under the sheer amount of people attacking it at once. When I get back into ESO after the novelty has worn off the battles may be a lot more fun.

In every new zone there are side quests that catch my attention, sometimes more than the mainquest itself and in this case there were two. I really enjoyed The Stitches and the story there. Sereyne is so hilarious and a bit sad. Perfect combo! There's also the side quest where Raz show up again and we're shown a completely new side of him :3 A story/quest can't go wrong if Raz is in it ♥

Elsweyr was a fun adventure and I was thrilled to run around with Abnur again. My favourite out of the five companions. He's so delightfully sarcastic. And finding out about Cadwell's backstory didn't hurt. Elsweyr was pretty good overall, but neither Summerset nor Elsweyr have lived up to the standard that Morrowind set as the first chapter release.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!