Saturday 23 May 2020

Lordi Scream Stream 2020

I assume that nobody missed the fact that 2020 is cancelled, right? When Lordi's 2020 tour was cancelled and postponed until 2021 they decided to do a three-hour live stream with a Q&A and concert available for a small fee. They would answer questions from the fans and play songs requested by the fans along with songs that they hadn't played in ages.

I was really excited when they announced this for Friday May 22nd and then I was totally bummed out when I realised that I worked Friday evening and Saturday morning. The stream would start at 9pm my time and continue three hours, which meant it would still be on-going when it was my bedtime (gotta get up at 5.30am for the morning shift). I was so bummed that I wouldn't be able to watch it and said as much on the band's Facebook page, where the band (or probably the page mod) got back to me and said that the stream would be available for watching up to seven days after original streaming.

Sold.

I bought a ticket and got the show going on my phone (with headphones) while also keeping an eye on things at work. This wasn't difficult as unfortunately the first 30 minutes suffered from severe lagging and then the streaming site suffered a DoS attack and the stream was unavailable for about 30 minutes while this was resolved. But when it came back up it worked absolutely perfectly for the rest of the evening, which meant I could watch a portion of the show lag free on my way home from work. Because the stream was unavailable for 30 minutes they decided to prolong the show for 30 minutes and thus ended up playing for 3½ hours. They also extended the availability of the stream to 14 days.

After dinner tonight I watched the entirety of the stream, which ends up at almost 4 hours. The setting was a lot more cosy than a regular gig and so it quickly became apparent what a group of adorable dorks the band is. Since Kalma (bassist) left the group, my favourite member simply became Mr. Lordi himself, and while he's still adorable (that's not a word you expect in relation to this band, is it?), Mana (drummer) really really grew on me over the course of this stream.

In-between songs there were short clips featuring various people important to the band behind the scenes. And because of those videos I now know a hell of a lot about Rovaniemi (Mr. Lordi's hometown) that I'm not sure I needed to know xD

The stream was amazing. I loved it. I have now officially seen Lordi live four times. Even if this time suffered from a deplorable lack of pyrotechnics ;)

I made a playlist from the setlist of the show on Spotify :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!