Friday 8 May 2020

The Alienist

I heard about this show a couple years ago when it was brand new, but only recently did I see that it was available on Netflix and so ofrc I had to watch it.

Costume drama, Victorian era (but in New York), the very beginnings of psychoanalysis and forensics, and a serial killer (possibly inspired by Jack the Ripper). What's not to love?

There's an interesting perspective of homosexuality, budding transexuality, and what they, in the 19th century, called sodomy. There's corruption in the police force. Theodore Roosevelt is in the show. And it shows the stark contrasts between the wealthy New York and the poor New York.

I absolutely adored the series and I was so happy when I saw that they had made an adaptation of the next book too. Because this is originally a book (that I haven't read, but is definitely on my tbr now).

If Sara ends up with John over Laszlo I'mma riot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!