Sunday 6 March 2022

Ju-On Origins

This show was my choice. I've had a weird fascination with Ju-On a.k.a The Grudge since I was 14 and saw the first American version movie for the first time. And Kayako has haunted me ever since. Since then I've seen every Japanese version I could get my hands on, as well as both the American versions. I haven't seen the one from 2020 yet. So when I saw this show in my/our recommended I decided I wanted to see it. 

It's only six episodes long and every episode is only 30 minutes. It could easily be completed in a day. The storytelling is pretty confusing to begin with. The story is told in the wrong order. But I had all the wrinkles straightened out by the end. Except one that I don't think they answered... What happened to the child? 

This show was a trip. It showcased the inherent evil in man, as well as the desire to do right. There was glimpses through temporal windows and a temporal effect where the future happened simultaneously as the past. 

The story begins in 1988 and finishes in 1997 and it really stuck with me. The storytelling is pretty slow and it focuses largely on building suspense. Throughout the show each episode gives you a new thread, a new piece of the puzzle, and they don't clearly explain how they fit together - it's up to the viewer to connect the dots. And that kind of storytelling isn't for everybody. 

The only thing I didn't enjoy about this show was the corpse reveal at the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!