Sunday 25 March 2018

Dealing with backlog: DARK

I really wanted to like this game. I really, really did and I was so excited when I started it up. And then it all fell apart before my eyes. The controls were wonky, the powers faulty, the sneak mechanics broken, the story failed to be engaging, the voice actors and the script sounded like they were trying out for the school drama club, and the whole goth vibe they were trying for was so wannabe that it became cringeworthy and ridiculous.

I was going to give it a chance to redeem itself, but when the game kept pitching my lowbie vampire with barely any powers unlocked (I haven't gotten that far yet) against 20+ guys with automatic weapons it just wasn't fun anymore. If every missions means I have to die ten times because if one enemy finds a body (why were there no practical humongous dust bins like in Dishonored in this game?) he alerts all the other enemies at the same time and they all go on the warpath together and you have to spend around 10 minute sulking in a corner before the enemies decide you probably got away and then we do the whole dance all over again. There are no practical places to hide the body of an enemy you just killed, you just have to hope this dark corner under the stairs is sufficient (which it never is), and Eric just refuses to pick up a gun. Like... there are 20+ guys with automatic weapons here, you just killed one of them, why don't you pick up his gun?!?!?!?!?!?

From other reviews I've read I understand that the kind of enemies you're up against basically doesn't change towards the end, while you gain more and more powers to the degree that in the end of the game you're ridiculously OP. And that's not a good way to go about making a game either...

I really wanted to like this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!