Monday 5 February 2018

Dealing with backlog: Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of the Baskervilles

The next game on my backlog list was this Sherlock Holmes point-and-click game. After only playing Nightmares from the Deep for 1½ days, this slightly more serious and less cartoony point-and-click felt slightly odd. And after being used to BBC Sherlock's Watson and Sherlock this old style classic Sherlock and Watson seemed even more odd. However any sense of oddity passed within the first 30 minutes when I got to completely bury myself in investigative puzzles and hidden object scenes.

I knew the story of the Hound of the Baskervilles before. Who doesn't? But it was still pretty fun to play. The one thing that was jarring to me though were the trips into the past, I'm pretty sure they made it like that for the game because otherwise it's just Sherlock mentally reconstructing the image of what it might've looked like. This actual trip into time and the odd amulet thing that gave them superpowers just felt jarring in the logical-explanation world of Sherlock Holmes.

But the atmosphere took me in anyway and even though I knew it was a point-and-click and I 100% wouldn't need to fight anything in the end I still had to remind myself of the fact when the time came to summon the dog.

When the game finished I got the same feeling as when I have just finished reading a really good book; sad that it's over but really happy how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!