Monday 1 August 2022

Game completed: Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Dawn of Ragnarök (+ Mastery Challenge pt 2)

I finally got around to playing this. I started with the second part of the Mastery Challenge because I figured why not do everything I can in the real world before I head off into a fever dream? 

Challenge stuff isn't my thing in any game, but finishing quests is and since these challenges come with a quest I needed to do them :P The challenges themselves seemed easier this time around, got a lot more silver medals in this batch than in the previous one. The final fight was really cool. I wonder if there'll be more things featuring Hildiran in future content, because I feel like there are some question marks that still need straightening out. 

But on the the main part! 

It took me a while to get into the story, mainly because I find Havi to be unlikeable whereas I love Eivor. Of course, knowing the actual legend I figured out what Baldr's fate would be even without playing the game lol. And knowing Baldr's legend I also knew what would come after... 

As soon as I was given free reign I started to explore the world rather than do any main quest, as per usual. I picked up all the wealth, mysteries and artefacts, fully upgraded the Hugr-rip, completed all the fishing deliveries, and did the two side quests before properly starting work on the main quest. 

I was so sad to discover there was another hut with more fishing deliveries in Svartalfheim. I put so much work into completing the ones in Ravensthorpe and I was so proud when I did it. First I decided to not do them, but then I managed to get on every single infuriating Monolith and figured the fishing deliveries couldn't be so bad, so I did them too. The powers of the Hugr-rip took a while to get used to but once I did I used them all the time. Eivor looks really cool as a muspel. 

I did enjoy all the glimpses into stories from the Nordic mythology.

Then I got moving on the main story and Havi does get better with time. I really liked Eysa. Every fight with Surtr and Sinmara was tedious, but the fights against Sinmara's Chosen were cool. And going through the portal to fight Riekr was also really cool. The sequence when you run across the bridge to reach the tower while being chased by Surtr and muspels was a lot of fun. I want to know more about the elves. 

The end is everything I thought it would be and it also hints toward another DLC for Valhalla...

After I finished the entire story (including the cutscene back at the Hodda shelter) I went to Kara the Valkyrie and did all the stories with all the boasts so that I could get enough tokens to buy every single reward from her. And then I returned to Ravensthorpe to get the final cutscene there too.

Afterwards I just walked around the town to see if there was anything I had missed and also changed some of the decorations to things I had found in Svartalfheim. As of now, the only thing I have left to do in the game is upgrading the Armory, which would require me to do more River Raids, and I'm not feeling up for that. 

This expansion was really cool once I got into it. 
Also I never noticed before how absolutely Swedish Ivaldi's voice actor is xD

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!